.avi viewing nightmare

Reaction score
I thought I had all the codecs and components I needed to view any media and any file, but then the geniuses at Apple Store told me I had a data corruption issue and rather than using time machine and my back-up disc, I should completely re-install everything on my new macbook pro and use migration assistance for my files.

Well, I have done that and now I cannot get .avi files to play.

I have downloaded more than I had before:
Divx
VLC
Flip4mac
and some other codec for QT

None of them work, or I am not using them right. On my macbook, I had QT Pro 7, but now I can't install or register that either because of the new Macbook Pro has QT X.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm getting on a plane Saturday and would love to have a few shows to watch. I tried watching online, but my connection is too slow.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Download Perian, which should play just about anything using Quicktime. Failing that download MPEGStreamclip to try converting to another format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Plus 1 for Perian great piece of software!

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Agreed. Another +1 for Perian and VLC.

OP
M
Reaction score
perian and VLC not working

Thanks, but I have installed both and both are not working to view AVI. Will try the Mpeg option.

Any other ideas? I never had trouble on my regular macbook with just QT Pro & Perian.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.