Powerbook G4 Aluminum Power Problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Late 2009 - 4GB Ram, 2.5 GHz, Snow Leopard
Hi...
Okay, so a few weeks ago, my Mac was saying the date was set to a time before March 24th, 2001. I looked at the date, and it was sometime in 1968. I also noticed that my internet doesn't auto connect at boot up.
Some people say that DLink routers have issues with Leopard, and I believed it.
Then my CD Drive started acting up. It would try to read discs, but then just spit them back out.
Finally, my old charger kicked the bucket, so I bought a new charger. It plugs in and works fine, but the battery status remains on "Not Charging" and when I take it out, the computer immediately shuts down.
It's getting quite annoying to have to live with this, and I am thinking about going down to the Mac shop and getting Leopard completely re-installed.
My Mac's Specs:
Powerbook G4 Aluminum 15"
1 GB Ram
1.5 GHz PowerPC G4 Processor
75 GB Hard Drive
I don't have the original Leopard CD, nor with any Apple installation software.

Can anyone suggest something that will save me from paying money to get this fixed?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That machine is probably ready to join the "retired Apple machine club". Have you thought about replacing it?

In the meantime, buy a new PRAM battery and install it. Let's see what happens. Looks like you can get one for $27.99 here.

Reaction score
Hi...
Okay, so a few weeks ago, my Mac was saying the date was set to a time before March 24th, 2001. I looked at the date, and it was sometime in 1968.

Your problems are typical of a dead or failing PRAM battery. (Parameter RAM)

The PRAM battery typically gives out after about 3 to 5 years. But it can give up a lot earlier, or later.

The PRAM battery provides a bit of power so that your Mac can remember its settings, such as your preferences and the date and time, while it is turned off. Sometimes an early sign that the battery is going bad is that your date and/or time will become incorrect, and that some settings won't stick, but often the first sign that the battery is dead is that your Mac won't startup.

Your 15-inch aluminum Powerbook takes a very special PRAM battery circuit board combination that is a unit. It is Apple part number 922-6007. These aren't inexpensive, and they are getting harder to find. You can get one here for $70:

Apple Powerbook Battery - G4 Aluminum 15" PRAM - Brand New

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Late 2009 - 4GB Ram, 2.5 GHz, Snow Leopard
And if I just went to the Apple store, would they replace the battery? I'd rather have a professional work on it, other than risking anything else. I'm not quite ready to give it up yet, because my grandfather only gave me this 5 months ago. And the PRAM battery should also fix the CD Drive issue, right?

Reaction score
And if I just went to the Apple store, would they replace the battery? I'd rather have a professional work on it, other than risking anything else. I'm not quite ready to give it up yet, because my grandfather only gave me this 5 months ago.

Sure, you can do that. The problem is that, since it is an expensive part, and you would be paying full retail, and they would add a charge for labor, that having them fix it for you might cost more than an old G4 Powerbook is worth.

I'd get an estimate from them, and then check the used Mac laptop market. It might be more cost effective to purchase a used Mac laptop that is newer and better than the one that you currently have.

And the PRAM battery should also fix the CD Drive issue, right?

I doubt it. It sounds to me as if your CD drive has a dirty lens. That can usually be fixed with a $3 CD lens cleaning disk that you can purchase at any drug store or department store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.