How Do I Back Up Bootcamp?

Reaction score
I'm running Windows on my iMac via Bootcamp.

How do I backup my Bootcamp partition?

SuperDuper says that it can't backup Bootcamp because it is on a different partition.

Windows backup software, running in Bootcamp, won't work because it can't backup to a HFS-Plus drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about telling us which version of Windows you're running in the Boot Camp partition?

If you're running Windows 7, it has a very good backup program built in and also includes the ability to create a clone image of the partition. The only caveat is that the backup or image must be directed to an external drive that's formatted to NTFS.

There's also WinClone. Free.

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm running Vista.

I'd like to be able to backup to a Macintosh-formatted drive that I already have. Is that impossible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Your best bet is WinClone. It's no longer developed and there have been reports of some people having issues with it, but personally I've had none. You'll have to do a little Googling to find a download site (CNET may have it). I do recommend you back up separately anything really important from your Boot Camp partition that you can't risk losing just in case you do have a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.