iMac ThunderBolt Target Display? + Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" i7 2.2
So I obviously know that Target Display is no longer supported since they are not the normal Mini DisplayPort. My question is, will the ThunderBolt port function as Target Display with the newest MacBook Pro with ThunderBolt?

I am thinking of buying a iMac and using it primarily as a media and backup server, while my MacBook Pro will remain my primary computer from day to day usage.

In addition to this, what do you recommend in terms of serving this media to my Television? I have uncompressed 1080 movies, and will be in a dorm pretty soon so I can hardwire it, but is there something that would work well that will be compatible?
Thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
It says there will be a Thunderbolt to HDMI and DVI adapter available soon for it that plugs into the Thunderbolt port.

Apple iMac 27-inch (Thunderbolt) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Hello there. I'm new to this forum and joined to ask this exact question so i thought it best to bump an old thread rather than create a new one.

I wanted to use my new Thunderbolt iMac as a display for my work laptop (HDMI). Does anyone know if this adapter is coming?

Thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
And I am bumpig again ;)

Anyone know about an adapter that supports the 2011 imac thunderbolt port? Because you can only use a thunderbolt equipped Mac nowadays. Apple have in a sense removed target display support from the 2011 imacs... sad.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are several manufacturers who have a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter which means that you can still use Target mode as long as the other machine has a working firewire port.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
I am talking about using the iMac 2011 as an external screen. Not

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your correct about that. There have been several long write ups on this with the latest in a recent issue of MacLife.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.