iMac WiFi Issues

Reaction score
I'm having some pretty serious wifi issues on my iMac. It randomly disconnects by itself, and the problem isn't the router as other Macs in the house are fine… What should I do? Replace the Airport card? Buy a usb wifi key? Or take it to a Mac Genius? The computer is circa 2008, no warranty at all… Sorry if this problem has been addressed in the passed!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you using any kind of encryption from your router to the iMac? If you are, try turning it off as an experiment to see if the connection improves.

Also, I suggest running an ethernet cable from the router to your iMac to make sure there aren't any other troubles that might be impacting on the connection.

To test your Airport card, you will need your original install DVD set to run the Apple Hardware Test. See the following LINK to learn how.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Just tested the computer and it said no hardware errors found…
I do have an encryption on the router, but another iMac in the same house is running just find on the internet… Is there maybe a setting on the computer that would effect this?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How far from the router is your iMac? How strong is the WiFi signal on the imac? There is a gauge in the bar up top by the clock.

Screen shot 2011-05-05 at 4.48.22 PM.jpg

OP
Z
Reaction score
Not that far, about 3 rooms down the hall… When connected I'm one bar away from perfect…
Basically, the internet works, for like 5 web pages, then disconnects… I then have to go to diagnostics and reset the connection… Pretty weird, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
My guess is either the Airport card in the iMac is defective or the Airport slot itself is defective. I'd take it to Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.