Can't play embedded videos in Safari

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2010 15" MBP; late 2012 11" MBA; iPhone 5
Hi -
I've got a MBP 15" 2010 model, Snow Leopard 10.6.7, Safari 5.0.5. The only extension I run is Click To Flash.

Recently, I found that i can't play embedded vids in Safari (I don't run other browsers).

I can play all vids fine directly from YouTube or any other site. It's just when the vid is embedded, like in a FaceBook posting, that I have this issue. When I click on one, I get the H.264 "click to flash" sign; I click it and I get a perpetual "loading.." status.

Anyone with hints on what I can try? Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What format are the embedded videos in? You may need to install Flip4Mac to work in conjunction with QuickTime.

OP
Command Alt Ego
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure what format the embedded videos are in -- but I did download Flip4Mac and restarted my Mac and the embedded video still doesn't play -- although the direct link to the YouTube vid plays fine.

Edit: I meant I downloaded and installed Flip4Mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you have Perian installed? Perian is a Codec that allows Quicktime to play almost any video. I have no issues here playing the embedded videos on Facebook using latest Safari with OSX 10.6.7. I do have Perian installed.

EDIT: I just disabled Perian and restarted Safari, and the embedded videos still play so that might not be the issue there.

OP
Command Alt Ego
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Turns out all I needed to do was update my version of Click To Flash. I looked at the extensions tab of Safari, noticed that "update automatically" was not checked off. I updated the extension and now I can play embedded videos fine.

Thanks to dtravis7 and chscag for their suggestions/help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.