Finding MAC Address' on LAN

Reaction score
Couldn't decide the correct place to post this, so it ended up here. I'm looking for a way to get the MAC addresses for about 50 computers, Macs and PCs, on the local area network here. I have tried, in Terminal, the arp -a, and it give about a dozen different computers but not all. I have a list of all the IPs and was wondering if there is a command that would incorporate the IP, that would reach out and get the MAC address of computer with that IP. Thanks for any help or advice.

Jim

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you have the IP address, then "ping -c5 <ip.address>" followed by the "arp -a" will get you the MAC address assuming the IP address you pinged was responded to..

Regards

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Raz0r, that did work. Now I only have about thirty to ping, but that beats walking around to every computer. Thanks, Jim

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This entire thread was moved to the correct forum. It does not belong in the "Lounge". We ask that you observe forum descriptions and read the Sticky notices at the head of each forum before posting. Thanks for your cooperation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.