ipod mini or ipod nano

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
so I checked out the apple website and saw the nano....looks nice. seems to be pretty much like the mini but with colored screen. I was dead set on a mini, but now the nano came out.

what do yu guys think? Should I get the nano or the mini.

J

Jonster

the nano looks phenominal. i'm not into the whole mini thing. i think you can get a 60gig ipod for twice the price of a mini, so what's the point, but some people like that thing. anywho, the nano is tiny, yet it's still 4gigs and it also is a color screen. i was so shocked when i saw it, but if you are going to get one right now, i'd say go with the mini only because it's been out longer. if you're planning on getting one in the future, then wait until they've played all the bugs and such out of the nano, then get it.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
The main advantage, which I can think of with the mini is that it can take a beating. I dropped my on the tile floor, and I put two gouges in the top and bottom and a dent in mine. But it still works! :eek:

But I've got my nano on order, so you know, where my vote is going.

Edit: Okay, I was doing the air drums in front of the mirror in the bathroom, when I drop my iPod mini. So I kind of threw it, while perfecting my drum skills.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook, iPod
I just ordered the Nano to replace my Mini.

The slim profile just got me, and since I mainly use it at the office 4 gigs is plenty for me.

Reaction score
I think it is kind of weird that the Nano headphone jack is on the bottom. I want to see what a nano looks like after it has been in a store for a week or so, my old 3G iPod got scratched up so easily, I assume the Nano might be the same way, while my mini looks brand new ever after a year or so(Except for the dent a put in it)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I voted for a nano for you because it's new and I wanna live vicariously. :)

The truth is that I think Apple should have introduced color nanos if they wanted to replace the mini. When I look around, I see more minis than any other kind of iPod, and I wonder how many people bought it with the color (body) as a factor.

Reaction score
can you actually still buy the mini?
I only ask because the mini isn't on the Australian Apple website anymore, it's replaced by the Nano.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
haze said:
can you actually still buy the mini?
I only ask because the mini isn't on the Australian Apple website anymore, it's replaced by the Nano.

They are on the refurb page still.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
People are talking this as opposed to a mini...but frankly, I'd without a doubt save my pennies and get a nano over a shuffle. Still tiny and 4x the memory for $100 more. No question...

M

mangoSharingan

The Nano is the updated version of the Mini I guess as they don't seem to have the Mini on their page anymore. I was expecting a coloured version of the Mini to come out soon and letting you use photos on it but I didn't expect them to change the name and make it smaller! The only bad thing I guess could be that you only get 2GB on the Nano for the price of a 4GB Mini but I guess not many people are too bothered when it looks this cool! ****, I only bought my Mini in April :( Oh well, I still got my lovely silver brushed aluminium....lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Jonster said:
isn't the four gig nano and the four gig mini the same price?
Yes, the Nano's price is the same was what the Mini's was when it was introduced. Of course, the Mini's are cheaper now on the Refurb/Sale section of the online store.

M

mangoSharingan

According to the Apple UK site, the 2GB iPod Nano is £140, the same as the recent 4GB iPod Mini I got.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
50 more bucks buys you 16 more gigs so you can view photos andlisten to music

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
caribiner23 said:
I voted for a nano for you because it's new and I wanna live vicariously. :)

The truth is that I think Apple should have introduced color nanos if they wanted to replace the mini. When I look around, I see more minis than any other kind of iPod, and I wonder how many people bought it with the color (body) as a factor.

I am one of those people pie, I have a green one. As far as I can see, the Nano is replacing the Mini and whatever they bring out that is smaller (ideally a Shuffle with the capacity of a full-size iPod, as I mentioned before!) would get my vote. I wish they didn't give it such a stupid name though. And I also wish they used some colours for the outer case instead of the usual black or white. As you will have gathered, I am not one for minimalism.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
The shuffle is a huge ripoff. You can get a SanDisk 512 for around $70, it has a multiline screen so you can choose an album/song, it has more file type capablities, drive drop- so its PC/Mac compatible.

G

gogreen

caribiner23 said:

This is only because the mini is cheaper than the ipod. people want to have the trendy ipod, and the average person thinks ipod is ipod I just want one. They don't really consider capacity or abilities or anything, just price.

Basically, there are three types of electronics shoppers: the I want whatever's cheapest group, the well educated buyers, and the I want the best, money is not an option group.

D

djeddiebear

gogreen said:
Basically, there are three types of electronics shoppers: the I want whatever's cheapest group, the well educated buyers, and the I want the best, money is not an option group.

I would consider myself a version of the last 2 you stated. I am very well educated and I do want the best because money isn't an option. The reason I don't have an iPod is because it's white. I also don't like the colors of the Mini. Now a black Nano is the best of both worlds, especially when I don't listen to music all that often. :)

Eddie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
gogreen said:
This is only because the mini is cheaper than the ipod. people want to have the trendy ipod, and the average person thinks ipod is ipod I just want one. They don't really consider capacity or abilities or anything, just price.

I disagree. I work in a major metropolitan area and I take public transportation and walk on the streets a lot. I also have a teenage daughter, so I overhear a lot of conversations.

It seems many people-- and I have to say in my experience it's been primarily women who've said this-- bought their "cute" pink or green iPod minis because of exactly that-- they're "cute." They didn't care about the fact that a white iPod may hold several times more music than the mini (or whether or not they could afford them)-- they wanted something that is basically a fashion statement and the cool thing to have.

I had a conversation with an Apple Store manager when the iPod mini was first introduced, and I asked why Apple would introduce a product at that price point when, for a few dollars more, a buyer could get much more capacity. He said the mini was geared towards a different market-- the mini was supposed to attract people who were more concerned about the "coolness" or "cuteness" factor than the more functional user.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.