OS X Restore Issue

Reaction score
about a week ago my computer randomly stopped and starting flashing a sign that said i needed to restart my computer, which i did...but it didn't go away.
i tried starting it in safe mode, didn't work. tried NVRAM, didn't work. entered single-user mode, and it wouldn't let me enter "fcsk" via command line.then i tried booting from the first internal disk drive, by pressing D at start up, wouldn't do anything.
now here's where got serious. i found my install disks but apparently i "can't install on this computer." fortunately the install disk gave me the opportunity of running disk utility, ran a verify...nothing wrong with my HDD. then i discovered that the disks i had were from my ex boyfriend's macbook (which came out after mine, although the OS is still Leopard) so i called AppleCare and purchased the install disks matching my serial number. but my computer won't even acknowledge the disks. and there is NO information on the disk that dictates what version of Leopard or Darwin it is. i'm thinking they sent me a different version then whatever my computer initially was installed with. or perhaps there is some ROM corruption.
anyone have this problem? solution? suggestions? suicide hotline number? something...i don't like not being able to tackle my own computer problems, this is my last resort before i swallow my pride and take it to someone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Kernel panic attacks are usually hardware related. Installed any memory lately? Too start from boot disc hold down 'C' - 'D' launches Apple Hardware Test. Next suggestion is deceased hard drive.

You need to be able to boot from an install disc and run Repair Disk to ascertain the condition of the hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.