Important album ... time for a new Mac?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
my MacBook Pro of mid 2008 recently died on me (MAD). It died last year, and has really put a dent in my progression as a musician that records.

I have recently gotten some extra money and I am itching to record this important next album. I can either fix my older MacBook for around $300, or buy a new iMac for $1k.

I am trying to decide what to do, so that I can make music, with no problems. I just need to WORK.

When my MacBook Pro broke down, I could still make some great music with good reliability, .... but not the best. It started to choke up with a number of tracks and effects. I had to get around this just closing the bare min of apps and just keep going. I just dealt with it.

I want to spend as little money as I need to, while ensuring that I am back in the Mac OS strong for years to come.

All my songs are in Logic, more done than starting fresh with a Windows machine, which I have. I was thinking of upgrading my Windows machine for about $300, but I would have to record all over again with an app I am not familiar with.

My question is > Should I repair my older MacBook Pro for around $300, or just get a faster new iMac for $1k, so I can WORK?
Thanks,
R

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hello everyone,
my MacBook Pro of mid 2008 recently died on me ( MAD). It died last year, and has really put a dent in my progression as a musician that records.

I have recently gotten some extra money and I am itching to record this important next album. I can either fix my older MacBook for around $300, or buy a new iMac for $1k.

I am trying to decide what to do, so that I can make music, with no problems. I just need to WORK.

When my MacBook Pro broke down, I could still make some great music with good reliability, .... but not the best. It started to choke up with a number of tracks and effects. I had to get around this just closing the bare min of apps and just keep going. I just dealt with it.

I want to spend as little money as I need to, while ensuring that I am back in the Mac OS strong for years to come.

All my songs are in Logic, more done than starting fresh with a Windows machine, which I have. I was thinking of upgrading my Windows machine for about $300, but I would have to record all over again with an app I am not familiar with.

My question is > Should I repair my older MacBook Pro for around $300, or just get a faster new iMac for $1k, so I can WORK?
Thanks,
R

That highlighted text to me, would have me buying a new one for 1k. Yes its not "the cheaper route" but your old MBP is a 2008 model. 3yrs old. you could get a cpl more years out of it not worries.
If you buy a new MBP then you have just future proofed yourself and you could get 5+ yrs out of it. The new MPB Benchmarks are impressive. Thats the way i see it anyways . . . . You know you want one ;)

Cheers

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
the i5 and i7 processors in thew newest laptop/desktop Macs are perfect for music making (CPU's are the most vital component for music production.)

I would seriously consider going for a new Mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Here's the part I would highlight as well. Why spend $300 on a computer that was already showing it's age "choking up" with what you do?

If it's already "choking up" doing what you do...you really can't expect it to continue for "years to come". I think that it's definitely time for a newer computer.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
MacBook Pro broke ... fix or replace with new iMac?

Hello everyone,
my MacBook Pro of mid 2008 recently died on me (MAD). It died last year, and has really put a dent in my progression as a musician that records.

Thanks,
R

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
@stargraph81...no need to cross-post...or start two threads on consectutive days with the same exact post. Threads merged. Thanks.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.