dmg issue

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct section of the forum for this, but here goes...

I have a Filemaker Pro document with all my passwords, usernames etc. I wanted to encrypt this file so I would only need to remember one password. About a year ago I read somewhere online that you could make a .dmg file from the Filemaker document and set a password for it. Did this and it worked a treat. A dmg file on my desktop, for which I entered password every time I needed to open it. Fine.

A month ago I went from Tiger to Snow Leopard. Copied my entire MacBook Pro drive to an external drive and pulled everything back when the SL was installed and running OK. The problem is, now my password dmg won't mount. I get a message saying "no mountable file systems".

Where is my original Filemaker document? I didn't delete anything during the changeover, so it's really frustrating (and confusing).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I understand your frustration, however, it appears that the .dmg file you made may be corrupt. It could have happened during the process of copying to the external hard drive and back to the internal.

Hopefully, you remember all your passwords and can either create a new master file or use another means. I highly recommend an application such as 1Password which can do much more than just remember your passwords.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.