Parallels won't install Windows 7 on MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 5K, ElCapitan 10.11.3, Airport Extr, 15" MacBook Pro, Mavericks, 10.9.3, iPad 3, iPhone 6S
I have a new 15" MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz, 8 GBytes memory, high resolution screen, anti-glare. It works fine. I installed "Parallels Desktop 6, Switch to Mac Edition" and tried to install Windows 7 (not migrate it from a PC). I keep getting the dreaded Blue Screen of Death as the Windows 7 Setup Program runs. I have tried to install it several times, getting the same result, although the setup programs stops at various places. I've tried a new Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit OEM DVD. Thinking it may be because of the OEM edition, I tried an older Windows 7 Professional 32 bit DVD, and had the same problem. I now have four Virtual Machines, each with a failed installation of Windows 7. Can't remove them until I get a successful virtual machine.

I installed "Office:mac 2011, Home & Business". No problems, installed and working fine.

Anyone have any suggestions as how to proceed?

Reaction score
I would uninstall Parallels entirely. I am on the road but search the forum here for specific instructions on how to do that. That should get rid of the whole thing. Sounds like there might be something wrong with the Parallels installation.

Then I would either try reinstalling Parallels or perhaps try a different program. For a single user installation of a virtual Win 7 machine, I would download VirtualBox from Sun. I switched to that awhile back from VM Ware Fusion and have run both Windows (XP and 7) and Linux virtual machines on it. Very simple. Not as fancy an interface as Parallels but gets the job done and it's FREE.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
+1 for Virtual Box.

Install under VirtualBox. At least it'll narrow down the fault (disc/parallels/etc)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.