Aperture?

Reaction score
Is this program better than Photoshop? I have photoshop and wondering if I should by this when buying a new imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" i7 2.2
It's not like photoshop, it's closer to Lightroom. Aperture has to do with organization and manipulation.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
They're different products for different needs. Aperture is more comparable to Adobe Lightroom. It's basically iPhoto on steroids. If you need full blown manipulation software, Photoshop still reigns supreme.

But before you spend your money, have a good, long look at iPhoto (preinstalled on your new Mac, great for organizing your images and quick edits) and also at Pixelmator for more advanced image editing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Is Aperture any good for working with RAW files? Someone else had suggested it to me, but in the description in the App Store it doesn't say anything about that. From the description it just sounds like an expensive version of iPhoto, which isn't what I'm looking for.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Is Aperture any good for working with RAW files? Someone else had suggested it to me, but in the description in the App Store it doesn't say anything about that. From the description it just sounds like an expensive version of iPhoto, which isn't what I'm looking for.

iPhoto and Aperture both handle RAW files (I shoot RAW only on my Nikon D5000 with no issues). Predominately use Aperture and have Adobe PSE for additional editing if needed.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

No - it offers much more than iPhoto. It can handle RAW just fine - and for most users - will cover everything you need in terms of editing.

Edit: Razormac types faster!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.