Buy an older iMac or newer one?

Reaction score
Hello all,

A few months ago, I sold my beloved white 24" C2D iMac. It was made in 2006 and I had it for about 6 months. I sold it due to financial troubles.

I loved that thing, and I regret selling it badly.

But financial troubles are gone (starving student that is now getting fat!)

Over the summer, I want to purchase a new Mac. I can't stay away, the photo editing on Macs is just so smooth compared to windows. But I have come to a dilemma. I know that it doesn't take much to run photoshop (I was running CS5 on the 2.16GHz processor just fine).

There is a 20" iMac 2.16GHz dated 2006 I am looking at for sale at a very good price.

But I am also considering the newer aluminum ones, something 2008 and older. I know the price will go up.

I mainly would use this for photo editing on a low scale, for senior pics or family pics that I occasionally do and get paid for. Which of the two would you buy? A cheaper 2006-2007 iMac (WHITE) or a newer 2008-2010 iMac (Aluminum)? The performance difference is greater for the latter, but is it entirely worth the extra cash?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just to be clear (is this the situation)...you want to purchase an older used iMac now...and buy a new iMac (or Mac) this Summer?

If this is the case...it would probably be less $$$ overall...if you bought the "White" iMac now...and a new iMac this Summer. No need to overspend on something now...if your eventual goal is to buy something new this Summer.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I'll make myself clear (sorry I'm a bit dazed, its finals week and I'm writing 4 papers at once, all due in two days...)

I am choosing whether to buy the older iMac (white, 2006-2007) or new iMacs (aluminum, 2008-2010).

Both iMacs would be from the used market.

To me, I don't see a huge advantage for the AL ones, but that's because I don't have experience with them.

The ultimate goal is to get an iMac... just between the two types, which would be better?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply.

I'll make myself clear (sorry I'm a bit dazed, its finals week and I'm writing 4 papers at once, all due in two days...)

I am choosing whether to buy the older iMac (white) or new iMacs (aluminum). To me, I don't see a huge advantage for the AL ones, but that's because I don't have experience with them.

I am seeing what the users here would prefer for my needs, as I typically would like to use it for Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.

You did mention something about buying a "new" iMac this "Summer" in your original post...AND something about buying a White iMac you're currently looking at.

These are two different time-frames...so rather confusing.

But to answer your question regarding the "White" iMac, and the aluminum iMac. I would go with the aluminum one for three reasons:

- the aluminum model will have a higher max. ram limit
- the aluminum one will have better graphics hardware
- and along with those two reasons...you will get a faster processor as well

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'd recommend the Alum iMacs. I've used both. I've had an original Alum iMac (24in) model and I use the white CD and C2D iMacs at work. The Alum is quite a bit faster and more powerful.

OP
S
Reaction score
You did mention something about buying a "new" iMac this "Summer" in your original post...AND something about buying a White iMac you're currently looking at.

These are two different time-frames...so rather confusing.

But to answer your question regarding the "White" iMac, and the aluminum iMac. I would go with the aluminum one for three reasons:

- the aluminum model will have a higher max. ram limit
- the aluminum one will have better graphics hardware
- and along with those two reasons...you will get a faster processor as well

HTH,

- Nick

Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for the reply.

Specifically, do either of you have a model suggestion? (spec/year wise?)

I should have cut the backstory and simply said "white" imac vs aluminum imacs :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Specifically, do either of you have a model suggestion? (spec/year wise?)

There are/were quite a few different aluminum iMac models...actually the newest iMacs still fall into the "aluminum iMac" category. So it would help if you gave use some sort of idea what your budget is.

Also...when shopping for a used computer...the exact model we could recommend may not always be available when you're ready to buy. So a specific recommended iMac might be a tough order to fill.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
I would ideally like to be in the budget range of $500-$700.
I am assuming this isn't the price range for the newer i3-i5 iMacs, correct? Probably just Core 2 Duo?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would ideally like to be in the budget range of $500-$700.
I am assuming this isn't the price range for the newer i3-i5 iMacs, correct? Probably just Core 2 Duo?

Here's something to consider...a bit higher than your $500-$700 budget...but probably the cheapest way to get a newer model iMac:

Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3 processor - Apple Store (U.S.)

$929...21.5" Intel Core i3 iMac...pretty decent graphics hardware, 4 gig ram...with 12 month Applecare warranty.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks pigoo3 for the link.

I did some research. Amongst the AL imacs since 2008, there are two types (you probably know this).

Are the pre-late 2009 models (small silver borders) screens (non-IPS) THAT dramatically different than the late 2009 models with IPS?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.