Can/should I upgrade from OS X 10.4.11 to 10.6.3?

Reaction score
Hello Mac Forums,
I recently bought an iPhone 3GS that, to my dismay, I cannot use. When I tried to sync it with iTunes I received an error message that read: "iPhone requires iTunes 10," or something to that effect. So, I downloaded iTunes 10.2.2, clicked install and received a delightful message that notified me that I needed to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.5 or higher. At this point I am beyond frustrated and am hoping I don't have to change the OS on my MacBook. So, I have a few questions concerning my options:
1) Is there a version of iTunes 10 that will work for OS X 10.4.11?
2) Is there a way to "trick" iTunes 10.2.2 into thinking that I'm running OS X 10.5 that won't harm my system?
3) I downloaded OS X 10.6.3 from a certain site but I can't get it to install. The only program I have the option to install is BootThink_e 2.4.6.pkg, which gives me the following error message: 'Couldn't open "BootThink_e 2.4.6.pkg". This package type requires Mac OS X 10.5.' If I have to use OS X 10.6 can I use this download or will I have to cough up another $30 to apple for the official copy?
4) So my final question, can I even upgrade from OS X 10.4.11 straight to 10.6 or do I have to get 10.5 first?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello Mac Forums,
I recently bought an iPhone 3GS that, to my dismay, I cannot use. When I tried to sync it with iTunes I received an error message that read: "iPhone requires iTunes 10," or something to that effect. So, I downloaded iTunes 10.2.2, clicked install and received a delightful message that notified me that I needed to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.5 or higher. At this point I am beyond frustrated and am hoping I don't have to change the OS on my MacBook. So, I have a few questions concerning my options:
1) Is there a version of iTunes 10 that will work for OS X 10.4.11?

No.

2) Is there a way to "trick" iTunes 10.2.2 into thinking that I'm running OS X 10.5 that won't harm my system?

No. iTunes 10 is reliant on technologies not present in 10.4

3) I downloaded OS X 10.6.3 from a certain site but I can't get it to install. The only program I have the option to install is BootThink_e 2.4.6.pkg, which gives me the following error message: 'Couldn't open "BootThink_e 2.4.6.pkg". This package type requires Mac OS X 10.5.' If I have to use OS X 10.6 can I use this download or will I have to cough up another $30 to apple for the official copy?

We don't support piracy (or any other illegal activity) on these forums, can't help you on this one.

4) So my final question, can I even upgrade from OS X 10.4.11 straight to 10.6 or do I have to get 10.5 first?

Yes, but Apple recommends that you purchase the Mac Box Set, which will also bring you up to date on iLife and iWork (it runs around $120 on Amazon). With that said, the $29 disc, intended to upgrade 10.5, will do a clean install for 10.4 users.

I would caution you to do this soon, as Apple has a tendency to discontinue older versions when they release a new one (10.7, Lion is due this summer), and it's been said that Lion will drop support for older Core Solo & Duo (as opposed to Core 2 Duo) machines.

OP
R
Reaction score
With that said, the $29 disc, intended to upgrade 10.5, will do a clean install for 10.4 users.

I would caution you to do this soon, as Apple has a tendency to discontinue older versions when they release a new one (10.7, Lion is due this summer), and it's been said that Lion will drop support for older Core Solo & Duo (as opposed to Core 2 Duo) machines.

By clean install I'm guessing you mean it will remove 10.4 and replace it with 10.6? Does that mean I will lose all my files? What is Core 2 Duo? I see that I have Core Duo, just wondering.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By clean install I'm guessing you mean it will remove 10.4 and replace it with 10.6?

Yes. You'll need to erase your hard disk and do an install as if 10.4 didn't exist.

Does that mean I will lose all my files?

Not necessarily. If you backup your system with something like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner, you can easily retrieve all of your files following the install (you'll be prompted to "transfer your data from another Mac", which is actually a tool called the "Migration Assistant". It automates the process of putting back all of your data/docs/pictures/settings back the way they were.

It's a good idea to do a backup any time you make a major system change, regardless of the circumstances. And if you've never backed up before, you're flirting with disaster any way. So, this is just one of the hundreds of benefits you'll get in the upgrade.

What is Core 2 Duo?

It is the 2nd generation of the Intel "Core" series CPUs. The earliest Intel Macs shipped with Core 1 series CPUs. Rumor has it that these will not be supported in 10.7, as it will be 64-bit only (Core 1 series CPUs do not support 64-bit).

I see that I have Core Duo, just wondering.

Double-check that by going to Apple Menu => About this Mac. If it's a Core 2 Duo, it should say so. The Core 2 Duos started to appear in early 2007.

OP
R
Reaction score
So this is something I will need an external hard drive for, correct? Is there a way to only copy my files and docs? My laptop has been running slow as of late and I'm not sure if that's from a virus or the programs that I've downloaded. So I'm wondering if this transfer could help with that.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So this is something I will need an external hard drive for, correct?

Yes, but you have one of those for backups already, right? If not, you're playing with fire. Hard drives are the most common failure point in modern computers.

Is there a way to only copy my files and docs? My laptop has been running slow as of late and I'm not sure if that's from a virus or the programs that I've downloaded. So I'm wondering if this transfer could help with that.

Just do a full backup. Then, when you are prompted to "transfer data from another Mac" during the install process, connect the external hard drive and opt to "restore from another volume on this Mac". Then you can incrementally select each component that you want to bring over (and yes, you can omit applications).

That's probably a good idea anyway, because if you've been using the machine for a long time and haven't kept up with updates to programs, or haven't been really good about purging unused apps, you could potentially port over some apps that are not compatible.

The other nice thing about doing a full backup with something like SuperDuper! is that you can boot from your backup. So, let's say that something goes horribly wrong during the install - you can always just shut down, turn on and hold the Option key and then choose to boot up from the external.

Another note - if you use the iLife suite (iPhoto, Garageband, iWeb, iMovie, etc.), the version you are using may be very outdated. So, it's a good idea to go with "The Mac Box Set", so you can get completely up-to-date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Yes. You'll need to erase your hard disk and do an install as if 10.4 didn't exist.
No you don't need to do that! Well, I didn't when I upgarded my Mini from Tiger to Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
1st, Thank you for the link to CCC. I have a external hard drive that on occasion, I transfered import files to. This software seems to make it effortless to just back it all up. It is running now.

2nd, I joined and came here looking for this exact same info. My wife bought me a new ipod for Christmas and I had to use it through my work computer because I could not install iTunes 10.

So just for piece of mind I would like to ask a question or two.

here is the 1st page from profiler;

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B08
SMC Version: 1.1f5
Serial Number: W860524PU2S

and I know I have one empty slot for RAM and one w/ 1 gig.

So will I need to buy more RAM to run Snow leopard?
If so, can someone give the exact details on what I should be buying?

My external drive is one of those WD 1tb "My Book" from a couple of years ago. If I understand the above conversation correctly, once the CCC is through running, I can then purchase a $29 disc that will install Snow Leopard straight from 10.4.11? Can someone provide a link to this disc? I know it seems like I should be able to find it myself, but I just know I will look and get confused as to whether it is the right thing or not.

A new home computer is just not in my budget right now with the looming of the wife wanting an iPad.

Thank you very much,
Jody

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
so you didn't have to copy the files from your hard drive to an external?
Well, I did and I didn't. Just in case there were problems, I cloned my Mac to an external drive. Then I installed SL over Tiger on that external drive. That way if there were major problems, I still had a working computer.

The install over Tiger went fine, all my settings and files were still there. After palying around with the new installation for a couple of days, updating some apps and printer drivers; etc, I then cloned it back to the Mac.

Reaction score
Just the thread i was looking for after having (apparently foolishly) accepted a decent deal to upgrade to an iPhone 4.

I run this:

Machine Name: iMac
Machine Model: PowerMac4,5
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 800 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.4.5f3
Serial Number: QT24213NN0S

...and wonder if there is any hope for me upgrading from OSx10.4.11 or whether I am doomed to a new mac or pc?

Not fussed about the latest model...just something that will efficiently run the household iphone, ipods and browse the internet efficiently.

In essence then, can I use the $29 upgrade disk from Apple to achieve my needs, or do i need to purchase the full version of 10.6?

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, you can't upgrade to 10.6 at all, since it's Intel only. You'd be limited to 10.5, but you'll need a retail version, and that won't come cheap. Your machine has had a good long run, I'd suggest upgrading to an Intel model. Upgrading that machine would be like fixing a dent on an '82 Chevette.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And even if you get Leopard the performance will be pretty slow after you find a program to enable installation as Leopard by default only installs on +867MHz processors. And memory is way to low for OS X.

Reaction score
Is something wrong with "My" post in this thread or did it just get over looked?

thank you,
Jody

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So will I need to buy more RAM to run Snow leopard?

Yes, I would recommend 2GB for Snow Leopard to run comfortably. 1GB is the minimum - generally it's a good idea to have some wiggle room. This is what you need:

OWC 5300DDR2S1GB 1.0GB PC-5300 DDR2 667MHz SO-DIMM... in stock at OWC

My external drive is one of those WD 1tb "My Book" from a couple of years ago. If I understand the above conversation correctly, once the CCC is through running, I can then purchase a $29 disc that will install Snow Leopard straight from 10.4.11? Can someone provide a link to this disc? I know it seems like I should be able to find it myself, but I just know I will look and get confused as to whether it is the right thing or not.

A new home computer is just not in my budget right now with the looming of the wife wanting an iPad.

Thank you very much,
Jody

Yes, you can use the $29 upgrade disc, however, I would strongly recommend going with The Mac Box Set. The Box Set comes with the latest iLife (iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband, iWeb, etc) and iWork (Pages, Keynote, Numbers) suites, so it brings you fully up-to-date. A direct upgrade from 10.4 is fully supported, but it is not using the $29 disc (although I understand from one of the posters that it is technically possible).

Personally, I would do a clean install either way. It gives you the chance to wipe out all of the old cruft and gives you a chance to rid yourself of any incompatible programs, since 10.4 is quite old now.

The Mac Box Set is available here:

Amazon.com: Mac Box Set 10.6.3: Software

The Snow Leopard Upgrade is available here:

Amazon.com: Mac OS X version 10.6.3 Snow Leopard: Software

And again, be aware that Apple specifically requires you to use the Mac Box Set if you're upgrading from 10.4. So, if you go the $29 route, you are breaking with their licensing terms and should not expect support.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Figured as much. I fear I'll be hunting for a cheap 2nd hand mac or pc in the next couple of days. Anyone in the UK got a suitable one going cheap?!

Reaction score
@cwa107, Thank You. That was the exact info I was looking for and I appreciate the help. I would rather do things to extend the life of this computer, so the box set might be right up my alley.

Jody

Reaction score
Well, I bought a 2 gig RAM and the box set. Opened the box set, looked it over, then backed up the computer one more time before shutting down. Put the new RAM in, started up, but I never got a screen. Black! Took new RAM out and started again with the same old 1 giig that was already in it and same reaction. Black screen. The power light was on and dim. 1st try, the power light was blinking because I had not pushed the RAM cards down far enough. 2nd try after figuring that out, black screen. It is now at a tech shop. SAD

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise cwa107. Now I'm looking for an external hard drive so I can back up my system before upgrading. I've been doing some reading and it looks like the 7200 rpm machines are ideal if you want to run your system and files off of the drive, but they also tend to run hotter which shortens the life of the machine. The 5400 rpm seem fine if you only want to use it for storage. I originally only wanted the drive as a backup, but I'd like to use it as my main drive if possible. My internal Hd has been making some strange scratching noises for the past 2+ months. It still works, a little more slowly, but I have to have the TV volume up loud so I don't feel like my brain is being scrambled. If I run my system off of the external can I have the internal off so it won't make these annoying noises anymore?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.