Few question about iPad before buying...Maybe !!!

Reaction score
Okay I'm between the iPad 2 and Samsung Tablet 10.1 schedule to be released on June 8th in the US.

So I know there's no flash,no external SD option,no HDMI etc...

I've heard that,before using the iPad I will need to sync to my iTunes ? Why would I need to do that ?

If I get it I don't want music,movies etc...Whatever is in my home PC iTunes stays there,only because If I get I will only get a 16GB one.

Why do I need to file my Credit Card with iTunes ? I'm not buying nothing,only getting the free apps.

So if I have taken some pictures with my digital camera how do I install them on the iPad to view them ? Same for documents.

I guess just these ones for now,can't thing of anything else.

Thank you

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Okay I'm between the iPad 2 and Samsung Tablet 10.1 schedule to be released on June 8th in the US.

Why not just get a Samsung Tablet now? If you've seen one craptastic Android product, you've seen them all.

HDMI and SD (via a digital camera) are optional dongles.

I've heard that,before using the iPad I will need to sync to my iTunes ? Why would I need to do that ?

That's true. Why, I'm not sure. They treat it like a glorified iPod, so it is paired with iTunes (at least for the initial setup). One positive thing is that you always get a full backup of your device, so there's no potential to lose your purchases (like there is with Android, particularly during firmware updates).

If I get it I don't want music,movies etc...Whatever is in my home PC iTunes stays there,only because If I get I will only get a 16GB one.

You can certainly set it up to sync that way. It's entirely up to you.

Why do I need to file my Credit Card with iTunes ? I'm not buying nothing,only getting the free apps.

It uniquely identifies the account and opens you up to make purchases at some point if you so desire. You can also use an iTunes gift card, if need be.

So if I have taken some pictures with my digital camera how do I install them on the iPad to view them ? Same for documents.

iTunes will handle that for you. You can also pull them from the cloud (via email) or with the digital camera kit.

I guess just these ones for now,can't thing of anything else.

Thank you

I would just caution you that the iPad is really intended to be a companion device to a full PC. It's not meant to be an entirely standalone computing device. That's not necessarily true of Android, but then, Android has its own share of (IMO far more annoying) eccentricities.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I can answer a couple of your questions. Synching your iPad with your iTunes library does not mean that you have to transfer your music video, etc to the iPad When the iPad is attached there are several tabs in iTunes where one can control what is synched and how much. You could for example synch only part of your library.

Synching with iTunes, in addition to transferring content is a means of backing up the iPad's content

Ignore what I said CWA did a much better job answering the question.

C

chas_m

I echo cwa on this first point. Samsung is currently being sued by Apple for stealing their designs and patents on that tablet ... given Apple's track record on "trade dress" type litigation, I wouldn't expect there to be a long shelf life on that model.

You "know" incorrectly. SD and HDMI both possible (requires dongle). Flash is also possible via third-party trickery (basically the company runs the flash on their own servers and streams the result to you in HTML5), but it's not too satisfying.

Having said that, every review of Android devices -- without exception -- has made mention of the fact that although Flash is supported on those devices, it a) drains the battery and b) doesn't actually work very well.

Bottom line: No matter what you think of Flash, the mobile version of Flash is simply not ready for prime time, and despite some improvement it looks to take years before it is on par with desktop Flash. The lack of Flash has not stopped Apple from selling more iPads than they can actually make, so I leave it as an exercise for the reader to figure out if the lack of Flash is really a "problem" or not.

Because only dummies would not backup their data or update their software or transfer some of the assets on their computer to the iPad.

That's entirely up to you. You CAN add music, media, apps and docs via iTunes, or sync it only when you want to make a backup or update software if that's all you want. Your choice.

Why do I need to file my Credit Card with iTunes ?

You don't. It's suggested, but not mandatory.

Through iTunes. Say, that iTunes turns out to be darn handy for a lot of things! Maybe you should spend some time learning a bit more about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
Why not just get a Samsung Tablet now? If you've seen one craptastic Android product, you've seen them all.

lol...sig worthy

Reaction score
Kinda like going into a Mercedes dealership, and driving out with a 'smart' car.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.