Time Capsule restoration?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHZ Intel Quad-Core i7 iPhone 5 16GB, iPad 3 16GB
I just bought a brand new 2011 iMac yesterday. I had sold my mid-2007 iMac about a month before and backed it up on a Time Capsule using Time Machine figuring I could restore all my files from it. I started up my new computer and pressed restore from Time Machine backup. It stated it would take 19+ hours. Realizing that it was over Wi-fi and that is the reason for the slow restore, I unhooked the Time Capsule from network, shut off my iMac mid restore. Then I brought my Time Capsule upstairs and hooked it up via direct ethernet to my iMac. Like I figured the estimated time till restore significantly reduced. I left it to restore overnight. I woke up this morning to find my screen blank and I could not wake it up. So I turned it off with the button on the back yet again and it restarted the whole boot sequence (like I turned it on the for the first time). Yet it says that there is a lot of space taken up the harddrive. I booted the iMac off the disk and reinstalled the OS. What should I do to get my files back?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Did you look in Accounts preferences to see if it restored your old user account before you decided to wipe it?

Did you look around the hard drive to see where the data was first?

However, the whole issue could be surrounding the fact that you powered down in the middle of a restore. Try the restore it again and don't do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.