How Do You "Uninstall" Software

Reaction score
I accidentally downloaded something called "Mac Security", an antivirus thing for the Mac. I want to get it trashed but each time I hit empty trash, I get a message saying I can't because something called "myriadpro.semiboldt.otf" is in use. I can't find this anywhere on my computer and want to get rid of it. Any help would be appreciated.

OP
eaglesclaw121
Reaction score
I accidentally installed something called "mac security" - the small red symbol is just sitting there staring at me and I want to get rid of this - I'm a newbie -please help

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Most applications can be simply thrown into the Trash. The exception to this (generally) is applications that were installed with an installer. If you used an installer, check the disk image (dmg) that you downloaded to see if there is an included uninstaller. If there isn't one, it might be worth checking the website of the app to see if there are specific instructions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@eaglesclaw121

Why are you double posting? Only post once with the same subject or question and continue posting back to the same thread. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
Or, do a Finder search for all files named "mac security" AND the company who wrote it (find that from their website). Search using this method, and delete everything you find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Trust it was not MACDefender. Do a search of the forums on how to remove.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Myriad Pro Semibold is a font, so you may not be able to trash it because the system has still loaded the font in some way.

Try rebooting and then empty the trash, or use the force empty trash command and see if that works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.