• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple to release Mac OS X Lion through Mac App Store - sources

Reaction score
Apple to release Mac OS X Lion through Mac App Store - sources

With the release of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion this summer, Apple will make the switch to a new kind of digital distribution for its operating system upgrades by releasing the software first through its new Mac App Store, AppleInsider has learned.

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You better have a fast reliable connection... :) OS X Lion plus apps plus iLife will be a large download. I'm betting they'll make it available as a compressed ISO which means you'll have to burn to a DVD first. That would make more sense than downloading a 10 GB or larger file.

Reaction score
Hmm…this is going to be fun upgrading to Lion if I can afford it and when it comes out.

I might decide to wait six months instead.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This is fine as long as they offer a retail DVD version as well. I have every intention of upgrading but I don't have a SuperDrive. If I can create a bootable thumb drive, that will suffice I suppose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
<- On a satellite connection, theres no way on earth I can download that.
They better have a DVD/USB version.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They'll probably do what MS does with their on line store. (MS will send you a backup DVD for $14.95 in addition to the download.) Or you can just order the full DVD version. I think Apple realizes that not everyone has access to a fast broadband connection.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Especially in certain countries (and certain areas of countries with "pervasive" broadband for that matter). There's also people like me who would prefer a hard copy. That's why I can see them doing either what you mentioned with a small fee for an optical copy along with the download or they'll have both a digital and optical version for sale.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Especially in certain countries (and certain areas of countries with "pervasive" broadband for that matter). There's also people like me who would prefer a hard copy. That's why I can see them doing either what you mentioned with a small fee for an optical copy along with the download or they'll have both a digital and optical version for sale.

That makes sense. They better have a optical version or at least a Flash Drive one. My DSL is now capped as well as Cable in my area. I have to watch my usage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
They'll probably do what MS does with their on line store. (MS will send you a backup DVD for $14.95 in addition to the download.) Or you can just order the full DVD version. I think Apple realizes that not everyone has access to a fast broadband connection.

Or even one that could handle it.

Here in Aus, the internet plans work very differently - we don't pay for speed, we pay for usage. Most households have between 2gb & 10gb to use per month - there are a couple of unlimited plans around but they're ridiculously expensive.

If they don't offer a DVD that pretty much cuts out their Australian market =\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not only in Australia are internet connections charged according to usage. There are likewise providers right here in the US that do the same. I'm fortunate that my ISP charges monthly for unlimited access. It's not inexpensive but I prefer it over any usage plan.

I'm sure that Apple Australia and elsewhere will offer other means of obtaining Lion. After all they're in business to make a profit not shoot themselves in the foot. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This one is to Vansmith as well as others in the know. I just saw an article saying a lot of major Canadian ISP's have started to CAP their Internet. Is that true?

AT&T was the only one left in my area without a CAP and they just had to put a 150GB cap on. Watch movies online sometimes and up it goes!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There has always been caps on plans (for the most part). When you purchase a plan with an ISP, you have data caps which most of us are subject to. I assume you're referring to the usage based billing issue which is in reference to the smaller ISPs who rent out lines from the larger ones. The issue there is that the smaller ISPs are offering plans that have unlimited bandwidth but they're using the lines from companies that don't offer such packages. For instance, large company A offers plans to consumers but also rents out lines to smaller ISP B who offers plans. Smaller company B offers plans with unlimited bandwidth, something A doesn't do. The larger companies complain by saying that this isn't fair (I believe that they are required to rent out lines) and thus, the usage based billing argument. The large companies want to impose the same kinds of restrictions on the smaller companies and thus prevent them from providing plans that are distinct from the larger companies (if they both have caps, why go with a smaller company?). That's the situation as I understand it. It's quite the hot political issue right now so we'll have to see how it ends up turning out. This gives you a better sense of the kinds of effects this has on the consumers who chose the smaller companies.

To give you a sense of why people are frustrated, Rogers offers a plan with a 175GB cap for $100/mo. Compare this with a smaller company TekSavvy who used to offer unlimited usage for $31.95/mo. With UBB, TekSavvy can only offer 25GB/mo. for the same price where overages will cost you $1.90/GB (for most). When you see this, you begin to see why people are frustrated.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that Van. That is pretty bad compared to what is going on here with AT&T. I did find another ISP that uses your existing lines but has no cap and does not plan on one. Pricing is the same or less for same speed. I might switch them. A friend did and is quite happy so far.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm going to miss my current plan when I move in a few weeks. I have unlimited bandwidth with them and they sent out an email this morning stating that they have no intention of changing their pricing and moving to usage based billing. Unfortunately, they only provide wholesale services to apartment buildings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Or even one that could handle it.

Here in Aus, the internet plans work very differently - we don't pay for speed, we pay for usage. Most households have between 2gb & 10gb to use per month - there are a couple of unlimited plans around but they're ridiculously expensive.

If they don't offer a DVD that pretty much cuts out their Australian market =\

Not all are ridiculous expensive. Im with iiNet on 50GB on 50GB off for for $59 a month. And with that i get a $40/Mth sim card with Monthly call & text value: $750
Monthly 3G data: 1.5GB
Social network access: 150GB

Not bad IMO for a month of connection to the world. Mind you i use no where near my usage for BB so im downgrading next month.

On subject, this is the way of the future. I like this but yes a hard copy will be good too.
Put my SL on a USB and love the fact i can boot from it wherever i am if need be. Not worringy about scratches is a bonus for me.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Lion I would if I could

:)

I hope that nobody minds a newbie in here...

When you run a very fine Powerbook G4 you just have to be content to run Leopard... How I would love the app store... there are just lots of thinks that the newer macs can do that my laptop can't. My poor old girl has just had a new 320GB hard drive and a ram boost. It is really sweet but at some point I think it may have to go.

:Angry-Tongue:I only upgraded to leopard because my iphone 4 said I had to. I just can't understand why an iphone 4 can connect to an ancient xp machine but would not work with my Tiger on my powerbook. Copies of Leopard were changing hands on ebay for big money....

Well that is my mini rant over I suppose.

Bye

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Interesting point there - if they were to only release it through the App Store, then only people running Snow Leopard could upgrade... I don't think anyone needs to worry about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If someone uses 150GB/mo. on social networking, they need to get out more. ;)

WOW agreed. I didnt click to the GB part until you pointed it out as i copied & pasted and i dont 'social network' so wasnt interested in what they where trying to sell me there. Only interested in calls, text and minimum data.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If someone uses 150GB/mo. on social networking, they need to get out more. ;)

If you stream maybe 5 or 6 HD movies like some do, (I do not btw), you will go over the 150GB cap quite fast with no bandwidth left for social networking! :D

With more and move content on the internet, ISP's capping tighter and tighter makes little sense.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.