Change Computer Name

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 4,1 2 GB Ram 160 GB HD
I bought a used MacBook a couple of weeks ago. It had a clean install of OS 10.6.7 put on it before I purchased it (I didn't get an install disk, but that's another question) When I bring up the System info the computer's name is "user" I've renamed the disk but I don't know how to change the computer's name.

Any suggestions? Does it matter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Under the Sharing tab in System Prefs

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just knew it wouldn't be a huge issue, but I didn't know where to look.

THANKS!!!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now, do I need an OS X install disk? Is there a way to do a backup of the OS install info just in case I do something really stupid? Do I need to purchase from Apple? Is the media disk available without having to purchase a license to install?

So many questions . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Now, do I need an OS X install disk? Is there a way to do a backup of the OS install info just in case I do something really stupid? Do I need to purchase from Apple? Is the media disk available without having to purchase a license to install?

So many questions . . .

Best bet will be to get a snow leopard install dvd 10.6.3 and install it. you can buy from ebay for $20-25 depends on new or used. Or buy from apple store around $32 or so.

It is advisable to use install disk to get a clean start you never know what the previous owner might have put a bug in your system:)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can backup using various different tools. Time Machine is built into OS X or you can use something like SuperDuper to clone your current install to another drive. Do you have an external hard drive handy?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I have a couple of external HDs Hadn't thought about just cloning the drive to another. Might be the best option. I"ll look around for SuperDuper.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.