sync mutliple itunes with one iphone/copy from one itunes to another itunes library?

Reaction score
i use a work mac, and a home mac. my current itunes library is on my work mac. id like to be able to either:

a) use both itunes, each time i download music and add at home, i can then plug in and update the itunes at work and vice versa.

or if i cant do that, Id like to be able to

b) copy whats currently in my work itunes library across to my home itunes library, i.e. 'upload' from my iphone so to speak.

can someone tell me how to do either of a) or b) (whichever easiest?) i only found this: iClarified - iPhone - How to Sync Your iPhone With Multiple Computers and am unsure if that will give me either of the above as a result or if it is the best/easiest way, it looks pretty complicated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Apple only allows you to sync your iPhone with one Library/machine, so doing either of the above really won't work.

OP
B
Reaction score
so, i cant simply "upload" all the music on my iphone to a blank itunes (the one at home?) and use both itunes? if they both have same music on?

prob easier just to disable automatic syncing of the home itunes library.. but i miss my music when i am at home and want to play it..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Apple only allows you to sync your iPhone with one Library/machine, so doing either of the above really won't work.

Not entirely true. Yes, you can only sync to one iTunes ACCOUNT at a time, you can, however, copy your library and files to up to 5 different computers.

I have my iTunes library on my work computer, my MBP and I will be installing it on my Mini (when I pick one up later this year). That will be 3 of my 5 allowed machines.

OP
B
Reaction score
This sounds a bit more logical :) Thanks Brad. Can i ask how i go about setting this stuff up?? Anyone got a link??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Not entirely true. Yes, you can only sync to one iTunes ACCOUNT at a time, you can, however, copy your library and files to up to 5 different computers.

I have my iTunes library on my work computer, my MBP and I will be installing it on my Mini (when I pick one up later this year). That will be 3 of my 5 allowed machines.

I've never tried that. Seems like a lot of work to me. Then again I only have 2 machines to worry about.

The problem then is that you then have to ensure that both libraries match all the time. I guess if you have a small library this isn't an issue but as your library grows in size it'll become more and more difficult. I don't even try since my Macbook can't hold anywhere near the multi-terebyts that my main iTunes library at home has and I don't want to drag multiple external drives around with me on the road.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I don't have any links off-hand, no. I run a custom script to keep the library files synced between my machines. It was easier when I had all Win7 machines, but some more scripting allowed me to also keep the MBP updated as well. My mind is fuddled today, so I cant see myself doing a step by step, but I am sure the info is actually on this site if you search.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.