Leave your iMAC on?

Reaction score
Just wondering if people leave their MACs on all the time and let the power save do the rest. I was reading the book that came with the unit and it mentions about leaving it on if not used for more than 24H, or something to that effect.

I usually power my Windows PC and laptops down each evening and though there is hard logic to the reasoning I wondered what others do?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Been running for almost 6 months without a restart or a shutdown.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I only ever restart mine if i need to for Software update, which was however long ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I always left mine on, but set the screen to sleep after 20 minutes or so.

Reaction score
Yeah, Mine has been on since I bought it. It is on 20 minute screen sleep and It has been restarted a couple times for various reasons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Just to add to this thread, which is one of about 30 on the same topic :p
I never switch off, unless rebooting for an update, like my friend there, or maybe if I'm going away for a week or two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I only restart or shut down mine for the following reasons:

1) Software updates or installs that require it.

2) I'm going to be out of town and away from the machine for more than 4 weeks.

Other than that, my screen is set to dim after 1 min of non-use and I will leave the machine at the login screen (not logged out, just locked) when I am out of the the house at work or out of town. I don't even spin down the discs as they will do that themselves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Another iMac user here who never switches off except when away from home for more than a cople of days and only restarts it when required for software updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ipad 64gb wifi , Itouch 32gb wifi , 2011 Imac 21"
Heres a question for you guys then from at the moment a non imac owner but an owner of a very noisy pc.

My computer sits a few feet from my bed and if/when i pluck up the courage to buy this Mac is it quiet enough when switched on to get to sleep as theres no way my old tower or my current laptop could let me do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
@Hibernia
It will be very quite mine is great in that department.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Heres a question for you guys then from at the moment a non imac owner but an owner of a very noisy pc.

My computer sits a few feet from my bed and if/when i pluck up the courage to buy this Mac is it quiet enough when switched on to get to sleep as theres no way my old tower or my current laptop could let me do this?

Yes. Unless you are doing something that is taxing the CPUs greatly and thus spinning up the fans the thing is unbelievably quiet.

Reaction score
I'd say hot summer day as in 100 degrees outside and running multiple programs. It tends to get SUPER hot but i'm not sure if its 95

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
The only times I turn my laptop off is when I go on long trips and I am not going to be bringing my computer. I leave mine all the time, and it still runs like the day I bought it.
You should be fine with leaving your iMac on.

- Kyle

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
on a hot summer day, wouldn't the iMacs over heat?

I live full-time down in South Eastern Spain, not far from where they shot most of the Serge Leone / Clint Eastwood 'Spaghetti Westerns' - which is semi-desert terrain and climate and is known as the Hottest part of Europe...:p

Temperatures in summer are regularly over 100 degs. F - internally as well..

Never had any problem with my 4 Macs 'over-heating'...
Although my Apple TV1 gets warm....

I do use large fans daily - and air-con. at night when my Sons are visiting...

However, I don't use my iPods in the daily summer heat when I'm out doing my walking as they do tend to discharge a lot more quickly....:Blushing:

Finally - I never switch any of my Macs off.
Unlike amateurish Windows p.c.'s - they are meant to be left on 24/7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.