getting just a few more months out of a macbook

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have a MacBook (Summer '07) w. an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor (2.16GHz), 120 GB HD, 240 GB External HD, and 1 GB RAM. :Blushing: I'm running SnowLeopard on it 10.6.7 currently.

I've had this laptop since I came to college in Fall of 2007, and I'll be getting a new one coming up in the next couple of months as I head to Law School.

With that being said, I'm currently having some performance issues with it. I know you're probably reading this and thinking "With 1 GB of memory, no sh*t you're having issues." But I don't want to pay to upgrade the ram when I'm getting a new one in the very near future.

Lately everything's been running much slower. I moved almost all of my documents, music, and photos to the external HD and currently have 77.48 GB available on the HD. (12 GBs of docs, music, and photos still on HD, the rest is apps and system.) I've AppZapped all the old apps I don't use anymore, run onyx and verified permissions and disk, and even did a re-install when it ran across something out of place.

I'm not trying to crank out max speeds on such scarce resources, but lately, a video (youtube or vimeo) or a flash game on the internet has been slowing my computer down tremendously and causing my fan to run VERY loudly, its pretty embarrassing in class. Anything I can do to correct the sloth and noise? Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. I had to replace the LCD display a few months ago because it got damaged. I noticed after a I finished replacing the screen that I had about six of those pesky tiny screws that never found there way home... could this lead to the loud whirring of the fans?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
It certainly could be the screws that are causing the issues. Best advice I could give here, as you have seemed to have tried most things already is to use iFixit guides to re-open the laptop and make sure all them screws are back in place.

HTH,
- Simon

OP
W
Reaction score
It certainly could be the screws that are causing the issues. Best advice I could give here, as you have seemed to have tried most things already is to use iFixit guides to re-open the laptop and make sure all them screws are back in place.

HTH,
- Simon

I suspected that may be an issue, but I wasn't sure since it only happened when loading videos. Any clues how to speed things up a little until I get the new MBP?

Thanks again for all your help!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Up the RAM to the Max. I think that model Macbook takes 4GB. That would help a lot with Snow Leopard.

OP
W
Reaction score
Up the RAM to the Max. I think that model Macbook takes 4GB. That would help a lot with Snow Leopard.

Thanks for responding, in the OP I stated that upgrading was not an option for me as I will be getting a new MBP in just a few months, I'd rather not spend money on RAM that I will only use for a short time. Any other suggestions? Maybe I should go back to using Leopard?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Must have missed that part. With 1GB RAM and Leopard it will be about the same. Leopard really needs more than 1GB also for running more than one or two apps at a time. So besides the RAM I really can't think of much besides running ONYX on it and cleaning it up a bit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.