Seem to be having a complex issue with my MacBook AirPort.

Reaction score
I have searched the web over for a resolution to this issue and talk to many people who know a lot about computers, but can't seem to find the answer to my problem. A few months ago, I purchased a first generation MacBook (manufactured in 2008) with Snow Leopard installed from a used MacBook dealer, and within weeks of having it, I began having issues with the AirPort. Every so often, it will drop the wireless connection seemingly at random, and once it's dropped, I cannot reconnect without restarting the computer completely. If I try to reconnect to the same network, it will prompt me for the network password (even if it is already saved), and once I re-enter the password, it will only give me a "Connection Timeout" message. If I try turning the AirPort off and back on, it will not turn back on at all. So at this point, all I can do is restart the computer completely and it will usually work fine again (sometimes I have to restart twice).

Let me be clear: This does not just happen on a single wireless router. It occurs on any and all wireless routers. So the issue here is not with my router. My roommates' computers connect just fine. My girlfriend's laptop never drops the connection at her house, though it drops mine constantly. So I can almost completely ascertain it is an issue with the computer, and not any wireless network. Also, as I mentioned, the connection can drop the connection at any time, regardless of what I'm doing. It doesn't matter if I'm downloading files, watching videos, or only browsing the web.. it will drop at almost any time without warning. Sometimes, certain things seem to trigger it more frequently, such as moving from one side of the room to another, but it has dropped the connection many times without moving at all.

I took the laptop back to the guy I purchased it from and he messed with it for a few days and claimed he couldn't find a problem and it never dropped the connection for him. After taking it back, the problem disappeared for a few days, but then came back in full force. It is something I suppose I can live with, but it is very frustrating having to restart every time it drops the connection. Nothing else I've ever tried seems to resolve the problem. My best guess is an issue with the wireless card? Perhaps it is failing? If anyone at all can help me with this, it would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd say your appraisal is correct. The airport card appears faulty. I'd take it back again if I were you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.