Powerbook g4 wireless problem

Reaction score
So my powerbook g4 12", 1.33 ghz has been struggling to connect to the internet wirelessly. At my home and at school the computer is about 20-25ish feet from the wireless hub and its worked fine since I've had it. But now it won't connect to the wireless network and if it does it will have maybe one bar and it will work for a minute or two and then disconnect.

So, because it is way more convent to be connected wirelessly at home, I was wondering if anyone had a solution to this problem? I didn't know if maybe my airport extreme card was dying or something like that.

I was planning on ordering a new airport card and seeing if that was the problem, but then I thought maybe just a usb wireless card or something would work better.

ANY thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Has the Powerbook been dropped at all? It sounds like either an WiFi Antenna issue or the Airport Extreme card dying.

What version of OSX do you have installed? Just curious. It used to get full bars I take it till recently?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Those units are notorious for the card popping loose or the antenna not being inserted fully. The edge of the card should be flush with the case, and the antenna plug should be seated fully, so that none of the vertical post-plug is visible.

OP
F
Reaction score
Wow thanks guys. EvenStranger you were right, I apparently did not connect the antenna all the way...I feel pretty dumb considering I've taken the comp apart SO MANY times and never had a problem with it. I guess I just over looked the obvious. Thanks again, you all saved me some money!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.