Shortcuts and Excel on Mac using Bootcamp

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought a macbook pro 13" around 10 months ago, and love it apart from the fact that I find it very difficult to navigate around Excel using the keyboard and different shortcuts. I'm very fast on the keyboard on a pc.

I'm heading to graduate school in a few months and will probably need to use Excel somewhat every day. My questions are:

1. If I get bootcamp, can I install Microsoft office (PC version) on it? Is it essentially equivalent to windows after installation?
2. How much is it and where can I buy it?
3. Can anyone who has done so testify whether it's somewhat similar to using excel on a pc (though some of the key positions are different....) ie whether it may be worth it?
4. Any other bootcamp downsides I should be aware of?

I know these questions can be subjective, but any help/advice at all from your perspective would be very, very helpful.

Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1. Boot Camp is only a utility which aids in partitioning your hard drive and prepares it for a Windows installation. You need to supply a legal compatible full install copy of Windows. And yes, once Windows is installed your MBP becomes in effect a PC when you boot to Windows. Office 2010 can then be installed.

2. Office 2010 and Windows can be purchased direct on line from the Microsoft store or at any retailer who sells software and computers. I paid $79 for the Home and Student version of Office 2010 when it was on sale.

3. Office 2010 and Office 2011 are similar but 2010 has a more professional polished look and feel. That's just my opinion.

4. The downside to using BC to install Windows is that the machine has to be rebooted each time to enter Windows. A bit of a pain. You might find virtual machine software to be more convenient. Parallels, Fusion, and the free VirtualBox can all run Windows in a VM. A reboot is not required when using VM software.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the quick response!

If what you're referring to is the below..
Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac

Could I just buy this and then buy windows (how much is this? pretty expensive right) and then I already have the Office application software (my graduate school sent me a copy).

Why would anyone use bootcamp if you could use parallels without rebooting? Sorry for the inane question.

Given potential cost of purchasing windows, I'm starting to think I should just suck it up and get better at using excel on my mac...sigh

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, it can get fairly expensive since you would have to purchase Parallels (around $60) and Windows 7 (around $99 at NewEgg or Amazon) and Office 2010 (around $150).

The reason folks use Boot Camp is to get the full 3D graphics effect that is needed for certain games and flight simulators. Using virtual software does not provide that. However, the upside of using Boot Camp is that it's free and is already on your Mac. All you would need is to buy Windows 7 and Office 2010.

If you can "limp" along with Office 2011 or 2008 on your Mac, it would certainly save you a bundle of money. There is no question that I personally prefer Office 2010 over 2011, however, not everyone agrees with me. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.