Help with MacBook Pro: Pricing for Resale

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm selling my MacBook Pro 13" to a family member as the university I am starting at in the fall is buying me a new one and I have to use the scholarship immediately or not use it at all. I am not sure what a proper price would be (ignoring a possible "family discount").

It's a 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM, 320 GB HD, iWork '09, Office '08, Photoshop CS4, and a Speck hardshell case. It was purchased on Black Friday '09 and shows no cosmetic wear other than slight scuffing on the bottom surface due to regular sliding on desks, not a big deal. The charger and all installation media are intact as well as the box it came in.

The computer works flawlessly, but like I said I have ("get") to buy a new one (yay i7) and I see no reason to bring two to school, and the family member in question is interested in purchasing my current MBP. So what would be a reasonable asking price, before applying a "family discount"? Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Mac2sell.net gives what I consider pretty "fair" pricing for used Macs.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you! I tried your suggestion and got exactly what I was looking for, albeit a little higher than I expected :).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.