MacBook Pro and Wireless Router

Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been asked / answered elsewhere, did a search and couldn't see anything identical...

I have a late 2010 MBP 13" which has never, ever worked properly with my Netgear router. Wife's crappy old Dell PC laptop works absolutely fine, but my Mac just will not behave itself. Airport recognises the router, and I even occasionally get an IP address (more often it's self-assigned or non-existent). Spent a fortune on the phone to Apple support and have followed all suggestions on this and other forums.

So, simple solution seems to be to buy a new router. Is anyone out there running a wireless network covering a MacBook Pro AND a PC, without problems? If so, what router are you using. For reasons to dull to go in to, I'm not keen to buy an Airport base station...

All help / advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
DLink DIR-655. I'm running two PC desktops, a Macbook, an iPad, and an iPhone. All work perfectly. Have the same router at my parent's house. They're running two PC desktops, an iMac, a Macbook, a Macbook Pro, an AppleTV, an Xbox360 and a Playstation 3. Again, all working perfectly.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Running a Dlink DIR-655 here also. Running PC's and Macs. Never an issue. The Apple Airport Extreme works great also but quite expensive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The DIR 655 is currently going for $70.54 at NewEgg. Free Shipping. LINK

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
D-Link DIR-655 here, and a Linksys WRT54GL before that. Both were flawless. The Netgear should be too (although I agree that Netgear products tend to suck, since the company that actually owns them is Nortel, which makes some of the most craptastic telecom gear ever... but I digress).

A few quick things I need you to verify:

1. Is the router's firmware up to date?
2. Are you using WPA or WPA2 security, as opposed to WEP (which is dead and cumbersome)
3. Have you experimented with different channels?
4. Do you get a good connection when connecting via Ethernet?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Linux version of the Linksys WRT54GL is still a great router but a bit dated now with only G Wireless. A lot of users here have the DIR-655 Dlink and love it as well as many with the Airport Extreme.

CWA gave some excellent things to try. Let us know if anything works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.