Broken keyboard (Please help me find the best solution to this problem...)

Reaction score
I hope some of you guys can help me figure out the best solution to this problem.

About two months ago I purchased a brand new 13" Macbook (the $999 version) to replace my 7-year-old iBook. The iBook still fuctions pretty well (I'm typing on it right now, in fact) but because of outdated technology I can no longer use it to sync my iPod and iPhone. Plus, 7 years is a pretty good run for a computer, so I figured it was time.

Anyway, I was very happy with the new Macbook until a few days ago, when I tripped over the power cord. I was carrying a cup of water (with a tight-fitting lid and a straw) and a few drops of water splashed onto the bottom left corner of the keyboard (where the shift and control keys are). It was literally drops--I'd say no more than a tablespoon--and I figured no big deal. My iBook has been through WAY worse. I wiped it off with a tissue and followed the "liquid spill" instructions as a precaution, but didn't think anything of it. And all seemed fine for awhile.

Cut to yesterday, when the keys started typing the wrong letter/number, and then the keyboard quit working entirely. I took it to the Genius Bar and they quoted $800 to replace the keyboard, and of course it isn't covered by the warranty. (I knew I'd have to pay for the repair, but figured it'd be in the $300 range, since the computer only cost $999!)

So, what do I do now? Paying $800 for a repair seems ludicrous to me. Do I:

a) Sell the damaged Macbook on eBay (brand new, and everything functions except the keyboard, so it's fully functional with an external keyboard, or maybe someone wants it for parts?) and put the money toward another Macbook?

b) Try to find someone who will repair it for less than Apple? (I know that this would probably void the warranty, but seeing as they're not covering the $800 anyway...) I'm in NYC if anybody has suggestions for repair places.

c) File a renter's insurance claim? I don't know if this is even possible (I do have a renter's insurance policy), but I've seen it suggested on a couple of forums.

d) Buy a keyboard on eBay and figure out how to replace it myself?

e) Some other brilliant idea that I'm not thinking of?

My budget is pretty tight, so I'm looking for the most economical option that will allow me to have a relatively new, fully functioning computer. The old iBook is fine for emergencies like this, but as I said, it's not compatible with my iPod/iPhone, and isn't really a good long-term solution. I work freelance and take my laptop to various places, so an external keyboard isn't a great solution either.

Any ideas/suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
ebays.

If it is just the keyboard which is bad which is sounds like it is then that is the way to go. They cost around $80 on ebay used are fairly easy to replace. They made it impossible to just replace the keyboard on these you have to replace the whole topcase.

Link to the ebays

Link to ifixit guide

You will need a torx screwdriver set and a tri wing screwdriver but these can be had for less than 10dollars on ebay.

so $90 total to do it yourself

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.