Apple Mouse- Keeping it Clean

Reaction score
Realize many if not most have migrated away from the wired Apple Mouse withy the tiny scroll ball on top. Have read many posts complaining of this getting dirty and requiring frequent cleaning to maintain functionality.

I have owned mine for two years now and found most of these complaints to be true. I even disassembled mine once to inspect and clean the rollerball's tiny components. I was successful but did manage to break some plastic in the process but the mouse still looks good and works fine.

I discovered two VERY EASY ways to keep the scroll ball clean with out any disassembly and either method takes about 10 seconds.

Method 1 - dip your index finger into some 91% rubbing alcohol, shake off any dripping excess, then with your wet fingertip roll the ball back and forth a few times for ~10 seconds.

Method 2 - take a can of compressed air (Staples, WalMart, etc.) and direct the end of the plastic extension tube right at the edges of the scroll ball. Give a few short blasts all around the ball. Remember to direct the airstream right at the edges of the scroll ball opening.

Actually I stopped using method 1 since the alcohol sometimes did not fix the ball jam but compressed air has worked each and every time I do it. It generally requires a blast every few weeks to keep the mouse working but I love the mouse so all's good! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
It is actually never a bad idea to clean your hardware once in a while. I do the same with my stuff at work, my personal stuff, and especially my laptops. Keep cleaning solution handy for the screens with a microfibre cloth to wipe them down. Some simple maintenance will keep your computers running longer and it takes only a little bit of effort.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.