Will new Thunderbolt iMacs accept HDMI in?

Reaction score
Hey, I picked up an i7 iMac about six weeks ago. I was aware of the refresh, but didn't know when it was due; I really needed to replace my Windows desktop - and wanted to complete my Mac conversion!

I use my iMac mainly for music production with Ableton Live, but also watch a few videos (although I have a plasma TV/cinema system for proper cinema use) and like to do some light strategy gaming (again, I have a 360 and PS3 that I use for most high-graphic gaming).

However one feature I missed from my Windows setup, was having my second XBox 360 run into the monitor's HDMI port so friends can play online at the same time as me on my first XBox/TV setup.

I'm aware of the Kanex and Belkin boxes that convert my iMac's mini displayport to an HDMI in; but find using that particular port to send HDMI out to my plasma for watching Hi-Def Youtube etc useful.

So the new iMac's extra processor power and upgraded graphics don't trouble me too much, as I can't envision pushing my current iMac's graphics - but if I thought I could have both my 360 to my iMac connected through HDMI in via a Kanex box and an HDMI out to my TV simultaneously with the new iMac, I'd be a little annoyed.

Does the iMac's dual Thunderbolt allow this? I'd be chuffed if it didn't support video input at all!

Finally, can anyone think of a way (probably using splitters) to have my iMac's Displayport connected both as an 'Out' to my TV and an 'In' from my XBox; with just a switch to flick between them?

Apple can be difficult..!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.