• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Google virus warning?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Another reason not to use Safari.... IMO

Reaction score
I don't know why everyone rags on Safari. I have never had a problem with it on both Windows and OSX. It has always performed speedily and never crashed. It loads data faster than IE and that to me is ideal.

This MALWARE will only affect you if you are stupid enough to install and
Input your credit card details. Note: It is not a virus.

Reaction score
Oh and why is it you never hear in the press the self same statement about a similar fake AV scan which is embedded into many webpages that often pop up in Windows and look like an Explorer window?

The fact is there are people out there trying to exploit the foolish among us, Mac & Windows users alike.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know why everyone rags on Safari. I have never had a problem with it on both Windows and OSX. It has always performed speedily and never crashed. It loads data faster than IE and that to me is ideal.

This MALWARE will only affect you if you are stupid enough to install and
Input your credit card details. Note: It is not a virus.

It's the way Safari auto-extracts zip files upon downloading them. So, it's not much of a leap to get something that ordinarily wouldn't be deliverable via a drive-by download. I haven't run across it yet, but based on the description, it appears to be specific to Safari because of this behavior. Hopefully Apple will think better of it in the future..

But I agree with you that you'd had to be pretty silly to just allow an installer to proceed when it pops up seemingly out of nowhere.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree. Also notice that "Sophos" implies if you use their AV software you'll be protected against this sort of thing. Kind of reminds me of the type of "Snake Oil" AV advertisements that I used to receive when running Windows.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Safari only auto extracts if you enable that option in Preferences. Otherwise it does not. Way back it was set that way out of the box.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The issue with Safari is what it deems a "safe" download and I don't think it's ever possible for a browser to know what is and isn't safe. Given the differences in everyone's browsing patterns combined with the continued creation of different forms of data, I don't think I'll ever have confidence in a browser to tell me what is and isn't safe. Now, I know what I download and I stay away from shady parts of the net but many don't and this feature will affect them the most.

At least as dtravis7 pointed out, you can disable the feature.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I believe the default setting is unchecked now. I remember last time I installed Snow Leopard on this new to me iMac, it was unchecked and I did a clean install. I hope no one checks the box to allow SAFE downloads as like you said, how does the browser for sure know if it's safe or not? :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe the default setting is unchecked now. I remember last time I installed Snow Leopard on this new to me iMac, it was unchecked and I did a clean install. I hope no one checks the box to allow SAFE downloads as like you said, how does the browser for sure know if it's safe or not? :D

That's interesting because I haven't tweaked it, and it was turned on for me on my new MacBook Pro. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it doesn't appear to be a standardized setting.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's interesting because I haven't tweaked it, and it was turned on for me on my new MacBook Pro. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it doesn't appear to be a standardized setting.

Interesting, will check again next time I install a clean install of SL and see what happens.

I know back in the 10.3 and maybe even 10.4 days it was for sure checked by default. I always unchecked it just in case.

Reaction score
I see that a web browser isn't exactly the best thing to tell you what is and is not safe, but doesn't it already tell you if a site is safe for browsing?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Doesn't mean the files it links to are though. A site may not be registered with Google's Safe Browsing service but may link to malicious files. There's also the very real fact that a site that's malicious may not be registered with the service. It couldn't possibly have records of every site on the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Mine came unchecked when bought new and has stayed that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive
I just checked my iMac (it is a refurbish) and it was checked "on", yes I did un-check that function. Could had been the previous owner, who knows???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I just checked my iMac (it is a refurbish) and it was checked "on", yes I did un-check that function. Could had been the previous owner, who knows???
If it was a certified Apple Refurb it will have had a completely wiped and reinstalled OS.
I wonder if Apple may have had Macs shipped checked in some OS version, and then later decided to ship them unchecked in later OS versions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.