E-books - (Kindle + Ipad) ...

Reaction score
My wife is thinking of getting a Kindle ... on the other hand it would be nice to have an iPad. But purely and simply with regard to the titles available from Amazon and the like, can the e-books which are sold for the Kindle also be used on an iPad? Or are there two different formats?

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
There is a Kindle App for the iPad, so you can purchase and read books for the Kindle as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
To be clear, the Kindle book you buy is good for all your devices. So I have a Kindle, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, a few Macs, a few windows machines, and I can read any book I bought from the Amazon Kindle store on any of those devices. All the books show up as archive items and you can just download them at any time.

On top of that the "cloud" knows what you read last, and how far you read so if you open a book on one device, read a bit, then open it on another device - that second device will ask if you want to sync to the farthest read page.

All these benefits only work with Amazon bought books. If you put a mobi file or pdf - then you have to sync it to all devices via computer.

OP
M
Reaction score
Kindle + iPad ...

Thanks for the helpful replies.

One query ... about your reference to 'cloud'.

But the books get put onto the HD of the Kindle/iPad, don't they?
You surely don't have to be within WIFI range in order to read.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just don't know about i-Books.

Thanks

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
You are correct, the books are stored locally to your device. What Ivan is referring to is that either the kindle, kindle app (iOS), or on the computer can and will sync your last read page to the cloud, so that if you switch devices it will contact the cloud and remember which page you left off on the last device.

If you are not near a wifi connection then no worries it just won't open to your last read page.

Cheers,

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To add yet again, every book you buy on the Kindle store is stored/backed up to Amazon servers. What this means is you can buy unlimited books for the kindle as you can always re-get the book. When reading the entire book is stored locally. The actual kindle can hold thousands of books so a vast library can be stored before having to go back to wifi.

The corollary to this is - all books are available for download on all devices. Again all reading is done on locally downloaded files.

Hope that makes sense.

OP
M
Reaction score
Kindle + i-Pad ...

Thanks once more for the concise and helpful replies.

M

Reaction score
Nice description Ivan, thanks for the info.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought Kindle ie Amazon limited the # of devices to 5? Has that changed?

Reaction score
Does the Kindle app work differently from iBooks, Kobo and any other apps? I have bought 2 books so far co-incidentally both from Kobo. I have not read much of either one on my iPad yet, but have read a fair bit on my iPhone 4. Works great on the iPhone but I am always connected with 3G. Where I would want to read a book on my iPad there is no Wifi, nor have I activated any 3G yet. Would I have a problem with a book sync'd to my iPad in iTunes while not in either wifi or 3G? Or do all these apps store the book on the device?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Does the Kindle app work differently from iBooks, Kobo and any other apps? I have bought 2 books so far co-incidentally both from Kobo. I have not read much of either one on my iPad yet, but have read a fair bit on my iPhone 4. Works great on the iPhone but I am always connected with 3G. Where I would want to read a book on my iPad there is no Wifi, nor have I activated any 3G yet. Would I have a problem with a book sync'd to my iPad in iTunes while not in either wifi or 3G? Or do all these apps store the book on the device?

You wouldn't be able to download without 3G or Wifi but books already downloaded would be available on your iPad.

EDIT: iBooks and Kindle have significant differences but I use them both and Stanza as all the reader APPs have differing strengths and weaknesses.

Reaction score
Thanks. I was under the impression you had to be connected to 'keep' your ebooks on your device after purchase. Good to know.
I haven't tried any other apps yet, but I think I like Kobo better due to the night setting. Although I haven't read more than an hour on the iPad yet, I find the night setting easier on the eyes than just reducing the brightness, which is the only option on iBooks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With the Kindle APP you can even upload your own books if you have DRM free eBooks. I like to buy from the webscription site (Baen Books). They sell DRM free and you can download Kindle format (MobiPocket) or ePub or both if you wish.

Reaction score
Ok just downloaded the Kindle app and it works pretty much the same as the Kobo if you change the view settings to 'black'. I will try kindle format thru amazon next time. Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The device limit is set by the publisher. So it just depends on the ebook. The usual limit is 6 devices for anything with DRM. I've read elsewhere - that if you just delete the book from one device - it will be available for another device - if you hit your limit. As I said the book is really stored in the cloud for backup. So far I haven't hit the limit but I only have 2 people in the house currently reading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I have a kindle and an ipad and I really like the ipad because it is fast and has a color display. I also really like my kindle though, the kindle books will transer to the ipad with the kindle app of there is a program that my friend uses called calibre that allows you to convert epub books(ipad) to the kindle and convert the kindles (.amz) to epub so it can be used in ibooks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a kindle and an ipad and I really like the ipad because it is fast and has a color display. I also really like my kindle though, the kindle books will transer to the ipad with the kindle app of there is a program that my friend uses called calibre that allows you to convert epub books(ipad) to the kindle and convert the kindles (.amz) to epub so it can be used in ibooks.

+1 on Calibre

It also can be easily set up as a server for your library so you can do wireless upload of ePub books on your Mac to the Stanza Reader APP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.