Won't Start

Reaction score
Hey All:

I am a brand new mac guy and have finally come over after having a pc since the mid 70's. My experience has been terrible so far, from the pushy sales guy to not getting help from anybody in the Apple Store. They seem to answer all your question prior to purchase but then once you pull the trigger its well call this number. Maybe I have a bad store??????

I have had my new Mac Book Pro now for 4 days and I when I opened it today from sleep mode it was frozen. So I held down the power button and it restarted to a grey screen and then it gives me a message "No Bootable Device -- Insert boot disk and press any key". I inserted the disk that came with it and nothing and now I can't get it to eject.

Am I missing something??? Please Help

Thanks
Cactus52

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take the machine back to the Apple store from where you purchased it. You have a 14 day window to return it for a full refund. Ask them to exchange it for another new machine. A 4 day old machine should not be doing what yours is doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Did you try to install windows on the machine. The only time I have heard of the message is when it tries to boot into windows without windows being installed.

Hold down option on start and see if it shows up with two HDD pics one of which will say Macintosh HD. Click that one to boot into MacOSX. If that works go to setting -> startup disk and choose the Mac HD.

If you need help installing windows on it let us know.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well That got it!! I did try to install windows but my disk was bad. I tried it under bootcamp, VMfusion, and Virtural box. I used appcleaner to drag vm and virtual box but I still have the icon on the upper right hand menu. (Not sure what that menu is called yet). and when I restart I still get the same issue unless I hold the option key. I will be installing windows later this week but I am trying to learn the system and want to remove all of that and boot normally. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
Cactu52

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I realize you're new to Macs but when you post a problem and ask for help it would certainly be an aid to us if you explained the details.

You're lucky that thurstmw recognized that you attempted to install Windows and failed. Help us to help you.

Reboot the machine and hold down the OPTION key to get into OS X. Go to System Preferences, Startup Disk, and select your MacIntosh HD as the default. Boot up should be normal after doing that.

As for uninstalling what it is that's left over, can you identify which icon is in the top menu? It sounds like it might be from Fusion but I can't be sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
I would go ahead and get rid of your windows partition by going into disk utility (hit cmd space to open up spotlight to find disk utility if you need). Then click on your HDD click the partition tab click the second partition and then the minus button in the bottom left. Then re-expand your MacOSX partition to take up the whole drive and apply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.