Imac spotlight calculator

Reaction score
I would like to pass on something I have just found out about SPOTLIGHT on my Mac 10,5,8
I used to use the spotlight calculator function quite often. It saved me loading up Calculator. This ability disappeared from Spotlight quite a long time ago and I couldn't find how to get it back, until now, and I am happy about it. If you go into Terminal and type man math the Spotlight calculator will work again! I deleted Terminal and restarted the machine, tried spotlight again and it still works! I hope this helps the, I presume, many frustrated mac owners who lost this very useful function.
George68

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Gday and welcome to the forums george.
Thanks for the heads up George. Just wondering if you could edit your post and put in Quotation Marks or highlight with bold the exact text to type into Terminal. Im a little confused as to which ones they actually are.
Cheers and be sure to hang around.

Cheers

OP
G
Reaction score
Spotlight Calculator Problem

Hi, Thanks for your reply but as a new member I am not too sure about this posting yet! The problem with the Spotlight Calculator is solved by opening terminal in applications and typing the words (man math) without the brackets, so good luck.
George68

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thanks that makes more sense.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Why would bringing up the man page for math reinstate that function? Where's vansmith when you need him!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.