Text scrunched up in the corner of my 27 inch iMac

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently came back to Mac when I retired, and I'm finding it hard to navigate the real estate on my 27 inch iMac, Specifically, when I open a document or e-mail or the majority of programs, the text and any associated page is scrunched up in the top left hand corner of the screen.

Yes I can sometimes pull the corner to expand it, but all that seems to do is expand the amount of white space associated with the page while leaving the text/objects firmly embedded in the same corner. Likewise, if I use the Zoom function in the toolbar I get the same effect - some zoom most don't

Some programs like Open Ofice will expand to fill the screen with their page slider but they are one of the few apps that does this.

So basically I have a 27 inch screen with the same usable viewing space as my 13 inch laptop. Is there any way to have apps or docs open so they will proportionally fill the screen - give or take a bit.

The genius at the Apple Shop Genius Bar suggested I alter the screen resolution, but all that did was cut off the data on each side and leave me with the middle of sentences in the middle of the screen.

Thanks
Big Joe

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The 27" iMac presents a lot of screen real estate. And as long as you keep the resolution at its native format, everything will seem small. Really not much you can do about it as changing the resolution to a lower one will cause black bands and perhaps an out of focus image.

About all you can do for now is expand the application window and center it. Some applications will expand more than others. In the case of a word processor app like MS Word or Apple Pages, you may be better off having several pages open at once on the screen.

OS X Lion (due around this Summer) is reported to have the ability to display applications full screen. That may help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.