• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Does Apple check your software when subitting computer for repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I need to take my Macbook Pro (early 2008 model) to have a battery replacement. When taking in your laptop for a repair like this, do they check your computer to see if you have any illegal software on there? I only have one software application that I got from a friend (Final Cut) because it was too expensive to buy on its own. Do you think I need to remove this program before taking it to Apple, or should I not worry about them checking for that since its just a battery replacement?

Reaction score
You never know. They might fool around with it, although they probably have better things to do.

Three quick solutions :

1. Password protect a folder with every potentially illegal file or app.

2. Backup the illegal stuff on an external hard disk, then delete it (use secure empty trash). Put it back once they're done.

3. Delete everything illegal, throw your computer away and become a monk, living off stale bread and water in a dark monastery as penance for your file sharing sins.

All jokes aside,
If you don't have a backup of your data, do it as soon as possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Pirated software is not something that goes over well here at Mac Forums.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Most computers are inspected by lawyers first, prior to opening the system up....

delete the illegal files, and you win.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As John stated above, we do not discuss illegal activities on these forums. If Final Cut was too expensive to buy, I suggest using something else rather than pirate it.

Discussion closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.