new MPB overheat issue during light gaming. (MBP turns off)

Reaction score
I was jut playing LoL on my new 13 inch MBP on Bootcamp windows 7. After about 4 games, the windows shut down to prevent damage. The MBP was getting real HOT i suppose. I was just wondering if that's normal..? I know mc is not made for game but still, it cant take around 3-4 hour of gaming?

Just wanted to know if it's normal. Ever since then, I just play around 1 or 2 game then stop playing to cool down the MBP.

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It should not be overheating to the point of shutting down.

Unless you have it sitting in your lap, on the bed, on carpet or any other thing that is blocking the vents on it.

If you've been playing with the vents clear of obstruction; like on a desk, laptop stand, etc., then you should take it in to Apple and let them have a look at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Just found out today that Apple has a temperature diagnostic test they can run on 2011 MacBook Pros to verify the cooling system. It measures fan speeds, temperature sensors and checks that the computer falls within proper temperature ranges. If you're concerned about your 2011 MacBook Pro, swing by your local Apple Service Provider and ask them to run the test.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Also, SMC Fan Control now has a Windows version (in beta) to manage fan speeds from inside Windows on Mac hardware. As with all beta software, use at your own risk. YMMV.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just found out today that Apple has a temperature diagnostic test they can run on 2011 MacBook Pros to verify the cooling system. It measures fan speeds, temperature sensors and checks that the computer falls within proper temperature ranges. If you're concerned about your 2011 MacBook Pro, swing by your local Apple Service Provider and ask them to run the test.

Not sure I like the sound of that.... Why the diagnostic tests on the 2011 models and not older ones? Is there a suspected problem with cooling on the 2011 models that Apple isn't telling us about?

Also, thanks for the info regarding SMCFanControl for Windows.

Reaction score
Not sure I like the sound of that.... Why the diagnostic tests on the 2011 models and not older ones? Is there a suspected problem with cooling on the 2011 models that Apple isn't telling us about?

Also, thanks for the info regarding SMCFanControl for Windows.

I have a 2011 early 13" and have covered over the keyboard with that thin keyboard protective membrane - sealed all around with double sided tape.

Because of this, I was concerned with temperature - thinking that covering the keyboard would do it harm - so ran all 4 cores at maximum with and without the cover. Temperature maxed out at 89 degrees C - well below the 99 max spec - in both tests.

That test only ran about 5 minutes, though, not the much longer time indicated by the OP. Also, I was maxing out the CPU, not the CPU + display parts of the chip. Maybe that is the difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Certainly sounds like it, doesn't it? I do know that my i7 13" MBP's fans are much more evident on WoW than on my 2009 uMB. I was really concerned about it the first few days, enough that I considered returning it. But, I kept it, and I guess I've gotten used to it. It's not bad, it's just different. However, if I was doing any sort of audio recording from it, I'm sure it would be a deal breaker.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.