Complete Mac NOOB. Help getting started

Reaction score
Ok, I just bought a 13" Macbook Air (used), and everything seems to work fine. This is my first jump into Mac, and so far so good.

I am trying to figure out how to change the user name on the system. It now reads "Joe Smoe's Macbook Air" and want to change that over to my own name. How do I go about changing how the system reads?

Thanks in advance for all the help, the previous owner lead me to this site, and you guys seem very helpful. Peace PJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The account name can be changed in  menu > System preferences > Accounts

The name of your mac on a network can be changes in  menu > System preferences > Sharing

OP
pastorjosh
Reaction score
Ok. I followed these intstructions, and it says my name and all at the accounts, but when I bring up the "about this mac" it still says previous owners name. Is there anyway I can change this?

Also is there anything else I need to do to the computer before I start using it heavily? It seems as if they have erased all of their information off of it, but I want to make sure. Thanks again!!

Reaction score
Ok. I followed these intstructions, and it says my name and all at the accounts, but when I bring up the "about this mac" it still says previous owners name. Is there anyway I can change this?

Also is there anything else I need to do to the computer before I start using it heavily? It seems as if they have erased all of their information off of it, but I want to make sure. Thanks again!!

go to system preferences>sharing.

on the top of that window you'll see a text box that says "Computer Name"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
Go into System Prefs, Accounts, click the plus button at the bottom, and create a new account for yourself (tick 'allow user to administer this computer'), then logout (apple menu) and login to your new account, go back to Accounts, select the old account and delete it (the minus button at the bottom).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.