iMac display life span

Reaction score
Hi Everyone..... I have the 27" iMac, HD display etc etc..... it is about a year and a half old, and I have not had a single issue with it yet.

I work a full time job during the day and also run my own business at night after hours. I work 30 miles away from my home office where I run my business out of, and there are times I need to get files from my iMac. I use log me in a lot and usually just email them to myself. Or if I know I need one the night before, I'll upload it to my iDisk and then just download it at my day job.

Normally I put my computer to sleep during the day when im not at home so the monitor doesn't stay lit for 8-10 hours. But when you put the computer to sleep, you can not wake it up via Log me in so if i ever need a file I cant get to it. I know I can just leave it on with a screen saver, but not sure if that is good for the life expectancy of iMac screens?

how long do these usually last?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All I can say is my iMac G5 20" LCD is around 6 years old. It looks as good as new. I used that machine 24 hours a day for over 5 years. Had the screen sleep, not the machine, after 20 minutes but it was constantly in use.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As dtravis mentions, head into the Energy Saver preferences and set it up for the display to sleep but not the computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here's a pretty typical answer you'll find on the internet:

"Typically a LCD screen will be rated to about 60,000 hours.

LCD backlight lamp will decrease brightness. That's the most evident sign of wearing.
The more contrast and brightness you use, the faster it will decay.

Obviously, the electronics can also fail - and in any other electronic device - power supply for example.

Sharp screens allow you to replace the lamp. Other brands less so. Apparently some samsung monitors also allow replacing the backlight lamp.

Theoretically, anyone could replace the lamp - but it's probably a rare part, hard to find, hard to buy, and very fragile and would require a certain amount of experience."

Believe me...for most folks...you will replace the computer (computer too old or slow) before you're LCD monitor will "die."

- Nick

p.s. FYI...60,000 hours works out to be around 20.5 years @ 8 hours/day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I had a 24in Alum iMac for the past 3.5 years. Other than a little yellowing along the edges, and some burn in from iTunes, it's perfectly fine. At work, we have 6 17in Intel iMacs that run 24/7 with the displays sleeping from 9PM to 6AM, the only issues with those is a line of burn in right underneath the menubar, and you can only tell when you restart the computer you can see the line.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.