Digital camera does not show up as an external drive

Reaction score
When I connect my canon digital camera to my MacBook Pro it does not show up. I have looked up disc utility with nothing registering there. Also have checked in system profiler and the USB connection which shows it is there but I still cannot get it to show up in finder or anywhere else where I can read what is on the memory!
Finder preferences have been set to show all drives including external ones on the desktop and still no show. I have shut down and rebooted with firewll off and on and still no show.
I have two other cameras and both of these show on connection.
Another twist is that the Cnaon will show in Windows virtual machine through Parallels and when booted natively in Bootcamp.
Very frustrating, any one out there have any ideas on what is going on.
Cheers:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
My Nikon D90 doesn't show up in Finder either when connected directly but both iPhoto and Nikons own import program import OK. When I use the SD card in a card reader Finder finds it. Quess it's just one of those things you have to work around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
There's likely a setting in your menu system (of the camera) that switches the USB mode..such as "MSC/Mass Storage or M/P MTP or PTP etc... Try changing that setting and see what happens.

Doug

Same for you Sawday.. it's in the "setup menu" which is the wrench icon. Should be very similar to mine which is the D300

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
There's likely a setting in your menu system (of the camera) that switches the USB mode..such as "MSC/Mass Storage or M/P MTP or PTP etc... Try changing that setting and see what happens.

Doug

Same for you Sawday.. it's in the "setup menu" which is the wrench icon. Should be very similar to mine which is the D300

Thanks. I'll check that out!

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Doug b. Have been through the menu system on the camera, been through the user manual, and I have spoken to Canon tech support. All drawn blanks. The Canon tech suggested it is an operating system issue.

Any ideas on that out there?

Reiterating that all other external drives show up no issue, it is just this one camera.
Cheers
Wardie

OP
W
Reaction score
I have found a way to get images out of it. The camera is still not recognised as an external drive, but if you open iPhoto, it can be seen there. Simple solution that works for me, but still frustrated that it is not recognised.
Cheers
Wardie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.