• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Merging email addresses used with iTunes

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I signed up for iTunes many years ago with an old Hotmail address. Last year however, I got a MobileMe account. My iTunes is logged in with my Hotmail account therefore all my app/music purchases are 'tied' to that address. I tried to change it to my new MobileMe account but it says it's already registered (I guess because it's MobileMe they automatically set it up?). Is it possible to somehow 'merge' these two so I can use my MobileMe address for everything related to iTunes AND still keep all old purchases/downloads? I hope that makes sense ;)

Thanks in advance! :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Open up iTunes - click on your Apple ID in the top right corner of the window ( or go to the menu (Store - View my account).

Click the Edit button next to your Apple ID - at the top of that window just under your ID is a box to change your email address. Can't change the ID there, but:

Apparently you can change both (in some cases) - found this handy link.

There is no way to merge two accounts if that's what you're trying to do. However, you can play everything from both accounts by authorizing the computer for both accounts.

OP
darrylyoung
Reaction score
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I completely forgot about it.

Basically, I should have explained myself a little better. I was talking about Apple IDs. I set up my original one years ago using a Hotmail account. I bought lots of apps/music with this account and it's all sat in my iTunes on my MacBook and on my iPhone. Last year, however, I set up a MobileMe account. I tried to edit the details of my first Apple ID to use the new MobileMe email but it says it can't because it's already set up. I guess MobileMe accounts automatically get set up as an Apple ID for iTunes. Anyway, especially with the recent iCloud announcement, I want to use my @me.com account for all apps/music. Is there no way to 'transfer' all of my purchases from my old account to the new one? If not, that's kind of strange because I'm not exactly in a really rare situation.

Thanks in advance :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.