How to speed up internet speed

Reaction score
Ok, so here is the background. I have a Macbook and I have a Time Capsule to run my wireless out of. Lately my internet has been really slowing up. It doesn't help that there are 4 xboxs in my house and 4 guys using the internet but still, it didnt used to be this bad. can i get any help on how to boost things up here? Thanks

OP
J
Reaction score
I tried that. download speed at 2.39 and upload speed was at 3.64. now how do i make it better

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
every once in a while I have to reboot my cable modem. I am guessing it is a log thing that slows it up. Could even be if you have DSL that there is a issue with your card in there system, long time ago when I has DSL the card I was attached to needed to be replaced due to a fault.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I tried that. download speed at 2.39 and upload speed was at 3.64. now how do i make it better

What speeds are you paying for? Also, it's a bit unusual to have a faster upload speed over the download. It's probably because of the heavy load of the other users on the system.

If you're close to the router, use an ethernet cable rather than wireless. That will speed things up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If your ISP is your cable company then cable interent speeds depends on how many people in your neighborhood is on the internet and it also depends on how much they are using it. During peak hours when everyone is home using the internet can be slow.

If you're close to the router, use an ethernet cable rather than wireless. That will speed things up.
Agreed. Wireless is convenient but a physical ethernet cord is still faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Besides your ISP, if there are too many junk files on your laptop, that can slow up your internet browsing as well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Try restarting the modem and router. That is fast for me anyway mine is 2.12 and upload is .49. try and use Ethernet I did notice a big difference when using it over wireless .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3
It does seem strange that the up speed is faster. I always thought that when there's a load on with other users, it would effect upload and download speed. A good example is try uploading video to YouTube and download some files at the same time. The upload goes to a crawl, at least mine does. I pay for 1.5 and speeds are about 3 DL and 1.5 UL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
D/L and try running the free app "Namebench" to speed up your internet connection.
There are YouTube videos about how to use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

The speedtest results are meaningless without knowing what speed your package is. For example, getting 2.87 Mbps down on a 3 Mbps package is good, but it's absolute garbage on an 18 Mbps package. Also, there are other factors at play here that could impact your speed:

1. router configuration issues
2. Roommates hogging bandwidth
3. Automated backups to Time Capsule taking up part of the bandwidth.

What I would recommend doing (I work for an ISP) is to connect your computer directly to your cable/dsl modem and running a speedtest to see what the modem itself is pulling for speed. The download speed should be at least 80% of the rated package speed. Then I would reconnect the Time Capsule with ONLY your computer connected and run it again. If there's a big dropoff, then the Time Capsule needs to be reconfigured. If no change, then add the other devices.

This might also be an issue where the solution is simply to upgrade your internet service to a higher speed.

C

chas_m

dmccloud's (hey, wait a minute ... that's a Highlander reference!!) advice is sound, but I think he left out how important it is to do the tests when you are SURE that none of the other machines are engaged in any internet activity. This is the only way to be sure that the speed results you are getting are accurate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.