• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

PowerMac G4 MDD Video Capture Help

Reaction score
Hello, I'm not sure if the website still deals with help relating to PowerPC Macs, but I shall ask nonetheless.

I have in my possession a B&W PowerMac G3 tower that is the educational AV edition that includes the Xclaim VR Pro PCI graphics card/capture card. It works only under OS9 and using Apple Video Player application. When I am done recording via either the Svideo or Composite ports (the only input ports on it), it encodes super slow, as it is a G3 at 350MHZ. This is just background information to what I need help with.

Anyway, I also own a PowerMac G4 MDD dual 1.0GHZ that runs OS 9.2.2 and 10.4.11 on separate hard drives. I wanted to speed up the video capture so I popped the Xclaim VR Pro into the top PCI slot of my MDD and removed the current Radeon 9000 Pro in the AGP slot (only when recording). I installed the latest ATI drivers for both cards here: Gona
So the the video capture works fine, but my main problem here is that I can't keep the audio input to stay on Line In, so it records sound. I can click Line In, but as soon as I let go of the mouse, it reverts back to None. Very frustrating. I would use the Apple Video Player application if I had it, but aperantly MDD's version of OS 9.2.2 does not include it. Can someone help me please? I appreciate any input on this matter. Please do not suggest that I buy a new Mac or a different capture device, as I am not looking to do that if I dont have to. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
B
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Many PPC users here at the forums. Why not re-install the 9000 Pro card in position one and XClaim in another slot and see if that brings any joy?

Installing Power Mac G4 MDD PCI Cards - iFixit

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/432159?threadID=432159&tstart=1850

Sadly I cannot do this. The 9000 is AGP versus the Xclaim being PCI, so I cannot move the 9000 to a different slot. Also, I cant even open Xclaim Video Player when I have the 9000 installed, which is why I remove it when I record. Am I making sense? I suck at explaining things lol. Anyway, the only problem I need help with is making the audio input stay on Line In when I have Xclaim Video Player open, OR find another app that can record from the Xclaim card, like Apple Video Player does, that doesn't mess with my audio input setting. Thanks for your help by the way.

OP
B
Reaction score
No one has any other ideas? :( I really would like to record the video WITH the sound...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.