Feels like slow motion!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 5
Hi there

I am on my MacBook Pro, 2010, 4GB RAM 13". Anyway, whenever I open a folder in my dock, it takes one minute (I timed), for it to actually show the contents. The swirly just keeps swirling in the bottom of the finder window.

Same with QuickLook. Whenever I hit spacebar, it takes a good 30 seconds for a preview to show up. My computer has been acting really slow lately...

Before I take it into Geniuses, is there anything I can do, or any way to explain this problem to them

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
You could try repairing permissions through Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility, also check under System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items to see what gets launched from startup and remove anything un-needed from there.
Other than that, if you do take it to the geniuses then explain it exactly to them as you have to us.

Hope this helps

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Sounds kinda like a failing HDD. Check the SMART status and if that is all good if you have another HDD lying around which you could try in it that might be a good idea.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 5
Thanks!

How do I check the SMART status?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Download either MainMenu 1.7.4 Free or Oynx ~ Titanium Software and you need to give it a good clean. Even sounds like you need to Re-index spotlight which will mean to run ALL maintenance scripts.
It might take a while as re-indexing spotlight if you have a lot on your HD will take the longest.

If you dl MM DONT upgrade as it will take you to a paid version, and if you dl Oynx make sure its for your OS or you will have more troubles than not.
I like and own the latest MM and its a great tool to have. . . . . . Something to try anyways.
These 2 Apps go a lot deeper than the DU in the Utilities folder. Yes its good but just doesnt cut it for problems like yours :)

Cheers and good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Its the hard drive, I have the same computer and it did the exact same thing i tried a restore and everything possible and it was still slow. I took it to the apple store and they gave me a new drive and had it back in 3 days.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.