macbook pro osx 10.6.7 wallpaper random change

Reaction score
hello everybody,
I have been having a problem with my macbook pro 15' for about 3 months now. Its an on/off problem that occurs every once in a while. I will have my wallpaper set and it will randomly change to a blue background. Then i have to go change it back, then it will eventually go back to the light blue background. I dont know what it is... i would like to know what is causing it and if there is something legitimately wrong with my mac? I have checked the wallpaper settings and everything for the "auto change after so and so seconds" is off. If you know anything about this or have any information, i would appreciate it. Thank you!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Interesting. I've seen just a couple of posts of this nature since I've been on here - and just looked them up - and was surprised that they all had no replies.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/226311-wallpaper-resetting-itself.html

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/234528-wallpaper-disappeared.html

Try moving this file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist to the desktop temporarily and rebooting. Did you install any themes or anything else that tweaks the desktop?

OP
T
Reaction score
okay thanks. yeah i havent downloaded any themes or anything. im just very confused. i dont know if it could be some kind of internal problem or something where it could lead to more problems in the future.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Did you give the above a try?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess the easiest way is to navigate using Finder. Go to your home folder (your user name) then > Library > Preferences - and find com.apple.desktop.plist.

Then move that somewhere - you can even delete it if you wanted to - but just move it to your desktop. Drag it directly onto your desktop. Then reboot.

Reaction score
check out system preferences - Desktop and screensaver and see what settings you have. It is possible you have configured some setting without your knowledge. Set up a proper screen saver using one of the options on the left navigation.

Reaction score
macbook pro osx 10.7.4 wallpaper random change

Hey Dude,
wass up everyone. BrianLachoreVPI you wrote how to solve the problem.

Try moving this file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist to the desktop temporarily and rebooting. Did you install any themes or anything else that tweaks the desktop?

but parentally i don't have that file...
and i have same problem over and over......! please help me..... I'm gone mad now....:Not-Amused::Shouting:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.