Metadata, is this aka temp internet files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 2.66GHz, 2G RAM, Mac Mini, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM and Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM
Is it ok to constantly delete: Users/myname/Library/caches/Metadata/Safari/Bookmarks and History?

Aren't they basically temporary internet files??

I noticed them one day while cleaning out: Users/myname/Library/Caches/ com.apple.Safari/Webpage Previews.

I already try to Private Browse as much as I remember to, and while in Safari, I'll Empty Cache but it doesn't seem to really clean temp internet files.

And they take a long time to delete! They must take a lot of space, is there an easier way to automatically do this?
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can do all that by clicking on the Safari menu and select "Reset Safari". Be sure to check off those items you wish to be removed including "Web Page Previews".

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 2.66GHz, 2G RAM, Mac Mini, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM and Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM
Nope, I just tried it, and I had everything checked off, yet those files in:
Users/*myname*/Library/caches/Metadata/Safari/Bookmarks and History are still there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Very strange. I just did the same thing and they were wiped out. Which version of Safari are you using? What you describe was a problem with Safari 4.X but as far as I'm aware has been fixed. See this LINK regarding Safari 4.X.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im using Safari Version 5.0.5.
I didn't reboot after resetting but I don't think that matters.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I have to take back what I said above. I looked in the wrong cache..

You're absolutely correct about the metadata folder. The bookmark extensions and history extensions for the metadata still exist even after a reset.

Looks like it's the same basic problem that was plaguing Safari 4.X. I just did a manual wipe with my file manager app and it took about 30 seconds for each folder to be wiped. I did notice, however, that the cache only went back to around a month ago. How about yours?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm always deleting them so I don't remember the longest period of time they were in there.
Bookmarks is the most amount, it can take 5 minutes to empty from trash, 1,500 items or so, I do it every couple of days. History has maybe half the amount. And if you open one, it opens to what you were browsing, I don't like that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree. It sure takes away hope of privacy if clicking on any of the metadata files goes right back to the web page. I may start using Firefox again. I'm not crazy about FF but it does clear the caches.

In the meantime, I'll hunt around for an add on or possibly an extension to Safari that will clean the metadata. If I find something useful, I'll post it for all to see.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I stand corrected, History always has the most amount.
Thanks for your feedback, hope to hear more, thx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.