Web browsers crashing!

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have been having problems with my web browsers (firefox, chrome, safari) crashing a lot more than usual. It brings up the "thinking" wheel icon and then just stops working and when i try to force quit from the dock it freezes the entire computer and I have to power off my mac and reboot.

I just recently replaced my hard drive and used a time machine back up to restore my mac. Could there be some problem there?

Or maybe it's a problem with flash?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It could very well be a plugin. Does this commonly occur on a particular page? Do you get get an error message when the browsers crash?

It could be Flash but Firefox and Chrome have what's called "plugin isolation" or "sandboxing." In non-technical terms, it simply means that if the plugin crashes, it doesn't take down the browser with it. You can see what this looks like in Firefox here - the plugin crashes but the browser stays up and running.

OP
R
Reaction score
It could very well be a plugin. Does this commonly occur on a particular page? Do you get get an error message when the browsers crash?

It could be Flash but Firefox and Chrome have what's called "plugin isolation" or "sandboxing." In non-technical terms, it simply means that if the plugin crashes, it doesn't take down the browser with it. You can see what this looks like in Firefox here - the plugin crashes but the browser stays up and running.

It's not just on one particular site. And no messages pops up; it just freezes and then freezes the computer when i try to force quit. I should mention that sometimes it freezes ups but bounces right back and continues to work.

Reaction score
Me too!

I have the EXACT same problem. Safari was getting way too sluggish for me, so I switched to Firefox. After the upgrade to 4.0.1, it started freezing when I had a large amount of tabs open (I'm a tab junkie so I usually have 30+). I got fed up and switched to Opera - which appears more solid than Firefox at first, but crashes if I have around 10 tabs open. Sure, the sites have flash/plugins/etc., but I had NoScript/Adblock installed on Firefox (and running) and Opera running in the special "ask plugin" mode or w/e it's called.

Google realtime shows that this issue is actually all over Twitter. I'm assuming that is an issue with Mac OS X OR some sort of Mac plugin problem, because this
a) Affects [the major] web browsers
b) Is NOT site-specific

Would really love a resolution to this issue so I can go back to browsing the web.

(Running the latest version of OS X Snow Leopard, w/Updates)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.