WEP to WPA2, Netgear Router to Extreme

Reaction score
I set up a wireless network in 2004 with a Netgear router that only supports WEP. I thought I was secure until I read the other day that WEP is VERY easy to hack into. I bought an Extreme Base Station and will be using it with my Macbook Pro running current version of Snow Leopard, an ibook G4 running 10.5.5, (mostly because of Pro Tools Mbox 1 compatibility demands), an iMac and my wife's Acer laptop running Windows 7.

I did some searches and I did look at the wireless FAQs, but here is what I need to know before I get started:

1. Should I go into the Netgear router and completely remove the existing wireless network that is secured with WEP encryption before inserting the Extreme CD and starting on setting up the new network?

2. If I choose the simple method and bypass the manual setup method with the software on the Extreme, is it still encrypting using WPA2 or do I have to go into manual setup to select the strongest method of encryption?

3. My day job requires travel and when I use my laptop and wired or wireless on the road, I connect via a VPN, which is a pain, but adds an extra level of security. Once I setup this new network, none of my computers at home will be hard wired anymore. Whenever I was using a credit card for an online transaction, I only used the hard wired iMac. Do any of you use VPNs and what feedback can you give me on the level of security they add to a wireless system? Are they necessary, or will the Extreme WPA2 with a strong password be enough?

Thanks,
bilco

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Your Netgear can be accessed by an ip the AEBS has to use Airport Utility the disk that comes with it and as far as I know WPA2 has not been busted yet. I would use the AEBS
for everything and disconnect the Netgear and yes I would edit the network preferences.
I don't use a VPN but you can set it up it has the instructions both in the book and the disk amongst other setup options.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
1. Are you removing the Netgear router entirely? If so - you don't need to do anything but unplug it and set about setting up the Airport Extreme router.

2. I'm not sure if the Extreme uses WPA2 by default - I tend to doubt it - but who knows. It will be an accessible option no matter which way you decide to access the router.

3. The VPN adds a different type of security. WPA2 is the 802.11i enhancement to WEP which was originally specified as a MAC sublayer function to "provide equivalent protection" to that which you might have if you were using a wired LAN. The VPN is providing you end-to-end secure connectivity over the internet. Your wireless LAN security is just keeping other people with antennas from hopping on your network or reading your data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never changed mine but it was set at WPA2 Personal with the other options being WPA/WPA2 Personal, WPA/WPA2 Business and WPA2 Enterprise besides off.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for such quick responses everyone.

I don't intend to ever use the Netgear router again, so thanks for the advice of just turning it off. I think I will just unplug it, make the connections as instructed for the printer, drive, etc, plug in the Extreme, put in the CD and let it take it from there. EVERY time I have set up anything from Apple, it has been the most refreshingly actual "Plug and Play" experience ever. The stuff just works right out of the box, every time.

I may run into some hitches with setting up my wife's PC laptop, but I'll do that last of all.

I do have one more question though, regarding this earlier response, "Your wireless LAN security is just keeping other people with antennas from hopping on your network or reading your data."

If someone CAN hop onto your network when the wireless is not adequately secured or not secured at all, can they access the info on a PC that was connected via Cat 5 cable directly to the router and had the wireless networking option on that PC disabled? In this case, I had selected for that computer to not allow any file sharing or print sharing with the other computers that were on the network via wireless. Actually, none of them were setup to share folders or drives or the printer that was connected to the hard wired PC (actually not a PC, but an iMac running XP in Bootcamp for the sake of my wife not being ready to make the switch over to Mac. I use the OSX partition for my Pro Tools rig only.)

Thanks again for the answers; I am going to disconnect the Netgear and start on the Extreme installation process.

bilco

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
You shouldn't have any issue with your wife's PC at all.

Regarding your 'other question' - I'm not sure how to answer that - because I'm not a hacker - so I can't speak to what's theoretically possible here - but it sounds like it wouldn't be easily done - given the settings you described. I would say - it's highly unlikely unless you happen to live next to a Chinese hacking syndicate - in which case - you never know. :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Regarding your 'other question' - I'm not sure how to answer that - because I'm not a hacker - so I can't speak to what's theoretically possible here - but it sounds like it wouldn't be easily done - given the settings you described. I would say - it's highly unlikely unless you happen to live next to a Chinese hacking syndicate - in which case - you never know. :)

;D Thanks Brian, just getting old and paranoid I guess......

Getting ready to dive in right now!

bilco

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing did just occur to me - and I can't answer the question - but maybe someone else here can. Given the age of your iBook - I don't know if it will support WPA2 or not. Just a thought in case you run into troubles there.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nevermind - I found the answer to my own question. You should be fine. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Keep us posted on the results and ask if you have any questions or issues! Good Luck.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One thing did just occur to me - and I can't answer the question - but maybe someone else here can. Given the age of your iBook - I don't know if it will support WPA2 or not. Just a thought in case you run into troubles there.

Brian, the iBook G4 (at least the last 2 models) used an Airport Extreme card so will support WPA2 with 10.5.

To the OP, you should update that iBook G4 to 10.5.8. Better security and other improvements over 10.5.5.

OP
B
Reaction score
I did upgrade the iBook to 10.5.8 and got it and the MacBook Pro connected just fine, but that pesky Win 7 Acer laptop has me stumped. It "sees" the new network and says "connecting", but it won't connect to the internet.....

I can plug in a cat 5 cable from the Acer directly to the router and it connects just fine, pulls up pages like lightning, just can't access the internet via the wireless network it "sees".....

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot? Where to start?

Thanks,
bilco

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure it's because the second I said you'd have no troubles with your Windows machine - you were doomed. :) Did you get this working? I'm just catching up on posts tonight hence the late reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the bottom right corner that shows signal strength did you click on that and it sees your network which if you enabled security should prompt for password and join.

OP
B
Reaction score
In the bottom right corner that shows signal strength did you click on that and it sees your network which if you enabled security should prompt for password and join.

Yes, I did this and I tried turning the firewall off

Win7 is really strange to get used to

It took me a long time to get used to WinXP after Win98 and I guess this will be the same.

I didn't really dig into the Acer wireless problem tonight. I installed MS Office 2011 on the MacBook Pro and really like it so far, especially Outlook.

I spent another big chunk of the evening trying to use a Crossover cable to get the Bootcamp WinXP on the iMac to talk to the Win7 on the Acer and create a mini network to transfer files. Finally got that to work and am moving documents from the iMac Bootcamp XP machine to the Acer. So far so good.

I'll figure the internet thing out on the Acer after I am done with some of the other tasks at hand. Thanks for the input everyone. bilco

OP
B
Reaction score
Very strange, I was able to connect the Win 7 Acer to the internet using the "Guest" network in the Extreme Base...... have no idea why it works and the main network won't. They are both WPA2.......

Too tired to think about it now, at least it works. My wife will be happy!

Thanks,
bilco

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the main network 5GHz and your guest network 2.4GHz and the Acer while being n capable might not be 5 but 2.4 instead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.