iP4: Home button issues - how to go about getting it replaced?

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I was one of the lucky iPhone 4 preorders to receive their iPhone 4 a day before it came out thanks to FedEx. I guess you could also say that I was one of the lucky ones since I never had a single issue with my iPhone 4 until now.

My home button is starting to not work like it has in the past. Sometimes, when it's locked.. I could hit the home button once and it will wake up the display. Other times I have to hit the home button 4-6 times to get it to wake up the display. The same goes for when using the home button during actual use of the phone, when the screen is already awake. Depending on what I am trying to do (go to the home screen, access multi tasking, etc).

Like I said sometimes it malfunctions and sometimes it doesn't. A month or so ago this was only an issue every few weeks or couple of days, but this getting to be something that is an issue every couple of times I use the phone.

I am wondering how I should go about taking this phone to Apple. I had purchased an iPhone 3G, an iPhone 3GS and an iPhone 4 and never had to have them ever replaced by Apple. My friend was having a pretty serious issue with his iPhone and he wanted to have it replaced. He went back and forth to the iPhone store a handful of times because they kept making him try restoring it, then a fresh restore, etc... I basically just want to go there and have everything already done so all they can say is "OK well we will have to replace it".. Any tips?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Not going to happen. They will still test everything there. It's procedure, and they'll want to check everything. They'll probably do a fresh restore off of their factory image, just to check that you don't have a bad image.

Once that happens, and the iPhone is still acting weird, they should replace it on the spot.

OP
N
Reaction score
Hm.. Well it's something that doesn't always happen. So I guess they're going to do the restore, and it's most likely not going to act up in the store because it never seems to do it when I am trying to get it not function properly. Hopefully this is something that they make a note of- so I don't have to go through it all over again next time the issue occurs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
When you report an issue, they keep track of it. So if you can back with the same issue later, its in their notes for the serial number of that phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I had the same issue for a month and called once and then went to the apple store and they swapped me out for a new one. Mine was either not working or activating vouce control.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.